none
ArcBOK and CSDP RRS feed

• Question

•  

Reading Miha Kralj's article on the "Need for an Architectural Body of Knowledge" I noted the similarities between the proposed Knowledge Areas and the IEEE Computer Society's Certified Software Development Professional certification's domains.

Miha proposes the following knowledge areas:

• Design management
    • Analysis management
    • Delivery management
    • People management
    • Strategy management
    • Financial and Legal management
    • Life-cycle management

The CSDP uses the following domains:

• Software Design
    • Software Requirements
    • Software Engineering Tools and Methods
    • Software Construction
    • Software Testing
    • Software Quality
    • Software Maintenance
    • Software Configuration Management
    • Software Engineering Management
    • Software Engineering Process
    • Business Practices and Engineering Economics

Quite an overlap here although there are some differences. ArcBOK's Finanacial, Legal and Strategy management seem to correspond to a limited Business Practices and Engineering Economics domain, while People management is absent altogether. One common characteristic of those KAs are that they are related to "soft-skills". Another is that they apply across many disciplines besides software or even engineering, like ... healthcare.

Perhaps, that is the difference between a software architect and a software engineer: Paying more attention to the issues not directly related to engineering.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:49 PM

Answers

•  Panagiotis Kanavos wrote:

[...]

Quite an overlap here although there are some differences. ArcBOK's Finanacial, Legal and Strategy management seem to correspond to a limited Business Practices and Engineering Economics domain, while People management is absent altogether. One common characteristic of those KAs are that they are related to "soft-skills". Another is that they apply across many disciplines besides software or even engineering, like ... healthcare.

Perhaps, that is the difference between a software architect and a software engineer: Paying more attention to the issues not directly related to engineering.

Mi take is that it is the reverse: that characterization of the Software Architect I find improper, and Software Engineering to me is a superset, not a subset of Software Architecture, rather similar to Software Development in the broad sense, with all roles involved and so on.

Again, I have hard times getting this need to have Software Architecture has the queen of Software Development... but please take this as no more than thinking out loud.

-LV

P.S. I am aware that, at least here in the UK (where I'm based at the moment), Software Engineering stands more for some kind of systems maintenance expert of some sort (just look at the job ads), yet it is not in that sense that I am talking about SE.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 7:09 PM