none
deploy outlook addin without .NET framework RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement to install an outlook addin without having a requirement for .NET.  I have developed this using C#.NET.  Is it possible?  It is ok to have different setups for different OS.

Monday, April 8, 2013 9:56 AM

Answers

• If you develop using .Net, then .Net obviously needs to be installed.

If you develop using a natively compiled language, such as C++ or Delphi, then you won't need .Net.

That being said, you can count on .Net 2.0 always being installed. If you need a higher version of .Net (e.g. 4.5), then you need to perform the necessary checks in your installer to make sure that requirement is satisfied.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.4 is now available!

• Marked as answer by ultiimo Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:12 AM
    Monday, April 8, 2013 1:59 PM

All replies

• let's try with simplest problem - did you develop your add-in using templates that require VSTO runtime installed to run?

Monday, April 8, 2013 10:20 AM
  • If you develop using .Net, then .Net obviously needs to be installed.

If you develop using a natively compiled language, such as C++ or Delphi, then you won't need .Net.

That being said, you can count on .Net 2.0 always being installed. If you need a higher version of .Net (e.g. 4.5), then you need to perform the necessary checks in your installer to make sure that requirement is satisfied.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.4 is now available!

• Marked as answer by ultiimo Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:12 AM
    Monday, April 8, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Can I not develop in .NET and natively compile it to a dll that does not require .NET?

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:12 AM
  • there are tools that allow you do that, but you did not answer my original question - do you use VSTO in your add-in?

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:20 AM