none
Create a link to the real folder when drag a folder to another data file folder. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'd like to know if is there any programmitical way to create a link folder other than move the real folder from one data file folder to another. Just like the built-in "Favorites" data file folders. You can drag and drop a folder to there, but the original folder will not be deleted. Further more, if I delete the folder in the "Favorites" folder, the original folder will be deleted as well.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Malone,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN.

It’s based on my experience that you goal is hard to addressed. I would consult senior engineers for this issue to see whether they have work round. There might be some dely. Appreciate your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, December 30, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Thanks Tom.
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Hi Malone,

I'm afraid there's no good, direct way to do what you wish. If you haven't seen it, the following article provides a good overview of the various ways to integrate with Outlook's UI:

Developing Interfaces in Outlook 2007
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd229324(office.12).aspx

Aside from the CommandBar section (replaced by Ribbon in 2010), this still applies to Outlook 2010 in general. It sounds like a custom task pane would be the most appropriate UI for this type of scenario, but please note that we do not support programmatic drag/drop scenarios, as is mentioned at the bottom of this KB article:

266353 The support guidelines for client-side messaging development
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;266353

Overall, it sounds like it would be best to re-think the user interface design for this type of solution. The object model does have a PickFolder method to allow the user to select a folder (although it's not exactly ideal since the user has to nagivate the folder tree in that window). But that would be a very simple way to initiate any custom operation on a folder.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:02 PM