dll needs to go into gac? RRS feed

• Question

• Until now I've been deploying an app on several machines by carrying around a CD and installing framework 2 and a few other prerequisites and then just copying the exe and dlls into a directory. That works fine but I figured that I'd try ClickOnce.

After publishing, I tried to install it to a test machine and got a message that I need to install a certain third-party dll into the GAC. This is one that I have just been copying to the install directory. Is there some way to tell ClickOnce that it doesn't need to go in the GAC?

Monday, August 14, 2006 3:18 PM

Answers

• Also check and make sure the dll in question (under application files in publish) is marked as include rather than pre-requisite. If that dll is marked as prerequisite, then click once expect the dll to be in client GAC.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:19 PM

All replies

• Normally if your application require any dll they can be placed on the same application directory and it should work without going through GAC. So that particular dll, is it part of your reference or can you see it in the application files under publish? If not include that and tr.
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006 1:52 PM
  • Also check and make sure the dll in question (under application files in publish) is marked as include rather than pre-requisite. If that dll is marked as prerequisite, then click once expect the dll to be in client GAC.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:19 PM
  • Oh. Yes, that explains it. Thanks.
    Thursday, August 17, 2006 4:48 PM
  • Make sure that the .dll in question is not in the GAC on the Publishing machine as well (if it does not absolutely have to be there).  I just had a similar problem, and fixed it by removing the .dll from my PC's GAC before clicking Publish.

Friday, September 14, 2007 8:46 PM
  • As long as the versions of the dll in GAC and the dll in your application directory are same, there will be no problem running your ClickOnce application. If not, you will have problem if you don't specify the version of the dll in your ClickOnce solution I think.
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 2:39 AM