Shopping Cart Software RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

Have started to get my head around setting up a basic site with EW4 and now want to start experimenting with some Shopping Cart Software to see what's involved.

I'd prefer to be able to use something that's well established and also offers support for Australia Post etc. I'd also like to be able to start some software that didn't initially cost me anything but obviously I'd be happy tp pay if I started to use the product commercially.

At this stage I think I'd like to be able to design my own site and simply add the shopping cart to parts of my site. From very initial investigations there looks kike there are PayPal 'Buy Me Now' buttons and much, much more.

I'm only just beginning and would appreciate and recommendations or further reading sources.

Thank you. :-)

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:38 PM

All replies

• Sorry, Alan, but there's not a whole lot we can tell you that you couldn't find from googling "shopping cart reviews +australia," especially since your target market is Australia. As you may have already read here (presuming you have searched the forum on "shopping cart"), EW does not have that functionality built in. You can, of course, use EW to edit whatever cart you decide on (presuming it is not a hosted turnkey solution, which usually are limited in the kinds of editing possible), but that is true of any other editor, as well.

PayPal, as you've already surmised, offers probably one of the easiest ways to add such functionality to an existing or planned site. and there is a PayPal Australia for your convenience. But, there is such a range of available shopping cart solutions that recommending any one is impossible without knowing your specific needs (expected volume, whether you need backend management features, your experience with PHP/ASP.NET/ etc., number of unique sale items, etc.).

Even then, each of us has, generally speaking, had experience with only a few types of software. You might want to try finding e-commerce forums where you will get a broader range of experienced opinion. Just a suggestion...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:13 PM
  • Thank you Scott.

Hmmm........inclusion of a Shopping Cart Functionality directly into EW? That would be an interesting point of difference and possible advantage of EW over some other offerings. :-)

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Inclusion of shopping cart functionality directly into EW=BLOAT.

There are hundreds of shopping carts available (a similar situation to the request for a lightbox/gallery functionality). What would be gained by investing the time and effort into making an EW-specific one when there are so many great ones already freely avalable?

A Wisconsin parable:
    A Billionair­e CEO, a tea partier and a union worker are sitting around a table with a dozen cookies on a plate. The CEO grabs 11 cookies for himself and then tells the tea partier that the union member is after some of "his" cookie.
    Would you like some Koch with that cookie?
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:38 AM
  • We've been using Coffeecup Pro shopping Cart for a long while now, a little pricey but works for us. They also have a smaller version for less money and use to have a free one and may still do.  We've tried several programs but always go back to the CC.

Download the Trials and see if they work for you.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:15 AM
  • AussieAlan,

Check out www.opencart.com. No cost - free download.

You install to your own hosting or server, it offers extensions (must like Joomla offers plugins/components) and amongst those is an option for Australia Post.

Not sure how well-known it is, but seems to be pretty simple to use, and offers a nice front-end which is easy to navigate etc.

Otherwise, there's products like Magento, ZenCart, OSCommerce etc, and many others - some could be offered by your host.  Some can be installed through control panels on hosting services - through Plesk, or Cpanel, for instance - depending on what your host offers in its hosting services.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Thank you Slew and Andrew.

:-)

Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hmmm........inclusion of a Shopping Cart Functionality directly into EW? That would be an interesting point of difference and possible advantage of EW over some other offerings. :-)

Actually, not really. There is a very wide range of variation in what is needed in a shopping cart. Some vendors have only a few specialized products (e.g. forensic ultraviolet lights), making manual management doable and easy. Others have a large range of products (dropshippers, ebayers, etc.) and want to have a fully-fledged, database-driven, backend inventory and fulfillment management system.

Some folks are primarily vendors, and not particularly interested in anything but the selling end. Others, such as painters, photographers, etc. see the aesthetics of the site itself as an objective, and want to have a hand in determining that look and feel.

There are just too many different aspects of e-commerce, and too many objectives in the kinds of e-commerce platforms available, that choosing any one would leave many others dissatisfied, and saying, "Why doesn't EW have support for the <name your poison> shopping cart?!"

At the end of the day, EW is a Web design and development platform. You simply cannot successfully choose one photo gallery, or one e-commerce system, or one media player, without making the proponents of all of the other options unhappy. And you can't possibly include all the options, or you have a bloated, unwieldy, expensive monster of an application, and not a kickass Web editing environment.

And even if you tried, what do you do when all of those components are individually upgraded, as they inevitably will be? Release service pack after service pack trying to keep up? And just how long do you think the price would remain at $79... ?

Think about it...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Actually, its been done in every version of Expression Web except version 3 and every version of FrontPage since it was introduced.

http://gallery.expression.microsoft.com/SalesCart?SRC=Home

Thank you for your help in advance!
    • Proposed as answer by codeaholic Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:14 PM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:11 PM
  • That has nothing whatsoever to do with "...inclusion of a Shopping Cart Functionality directly into EW." That is a commercial, not free, add-in to EW, which anyone is free to develop and market, and not an in-built function of EW, and it costs, starting configuration, $25/month, with a realistically functional configuration running $45/month. Two months of that and you've exceeded the purchase price of the entire Expression Studio 4 Web Premium suite, and you're still paying...

Add-ins have nothing to do with functionality built into EW. They are what the name indicates, add-ins developed to be used with EW, just like the equivalent Dreamweaver extensions, which are no more a part of DW than add-ins are a part of EW.

cheers,
    scott

Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:23 PM
  • That has nothing whatsoever to do with "...inclusion of a Shopping Cart Functionality directly into EW." That is a commercial, not free, add-in to EW, which anyone is free to develop and market, and not an in-built function of EW,

Ok, yes...perhaps that is WHAT YOU are talking about and what YOU THINK the topic is about.... 

However, that is NOT what the original poster asked for.   Try rereading the OP.  The OP did not have a problem with a commercial, not free add-in to EW.

This is what the OP is asking for and his commentary in relation to free/commercial/add-in.

I'd prefer to be able to use something that's well established and also offers support for Australia Post etc. I'd also like to be able to start some software that didn't initially cost me anything but obviously I'd be happy tp pay if I started to use the product commercially.

My reply is directed to the OP and was replied off the OP.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Codeaholic, your post looks like a response to Scott's post - and seems to be an answer  to the sequence:

Hmmm........inclusion of a Shopping Cart Functionality directly into EW? That would be an interesting point of difference and possible advantage of EW over some other offerings. :-)

"Actually, not really. ...."

with

"Actually, its been done in every version of Expression Web ..."

Scott's reply is appropriate to that.

So, if you weren't replying to that, what was "it's" in "Actually, it's been done...", and which post were you replying to?

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, July 1, 2011 12:17 AM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:35 PM
  • Codeaholic, it's also interesting to me that your profile now says that you work "at work". A day ago it said you worked at ComCity LLC, which by remarkable coincidence is the company that sells the product you just endorsed. Also, purely by coincidence, I'm sure, you and "ShoppingCart" have a habit of marking each other's replies as answers. Could it be that codeaholic and ShoppingCart are alter-egos? Enquiring minds want to know...

It looks to me like what you are doing is questionable at best. Most forums severely discourage blatant plugs for one's own products, especially when there is no disclosure. Some of your other actions (such as two identities marking questions answered) are iffy too. I know that on some forums you would have been blacklisted by now. I suggest you change tactics here, or the response from the regulars is not likely to be positive.

Jim

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:40 PM
  • And he reports my reply above as abusive.  That's quite a stretch.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 1:18 AM
  • ... "arguring" everytime you get a chance about what the definition of "is" is,  ...

Well now, you're the one claiming that you didn't endorse any product, yet you proposed your company's product as an answer to the question. If that isn't splitting hairs, I'm not sure what is. And incidentally, I simply mentioned what you were doing and suggested you change tactics. Defending those tactics instead will get you nowhere in this (or any other) forum.

Scott, I now agree; it seems pointless to remain civil on this subject. I'm all for giving someone the option to repent of their evil ways, but when they choose not to do so, I walk away. Light up the abuse-o-meter!

Jim

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss
    Friday, July 1, 2011 5:10 AM