Identify culture(of the client) from web request and redirect! RRS feed

• Question

• User1521013567 posted
    Hi , I want to identify the physical location of a client requesting a page from my web application. I have tried Request.ServerVariable["HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE"].. this works but not a good idea, as the client might have not chaned his regional settings... Other way ... IP to region mapping if any one can suggest a better way ? nothing like it... -ashish
    Wednesday, February 2, 2005 7:34 AM

All replies

• User-19949642 posted
    A Map they click on and you save as a user preference ??????
    Tuesday, February 8, 2005 4:14 PM
  • User-1618039541 posted
    I think this is a good idea, becasue when user sets his/hers regional settings the access-language is set accordingly. And users who know how to change this, can switch the language manually. The only problem I could imagine if you have a site for language minority in a country, where people would use computer with the majority language of for tourists on road. I think the accept-language is good starting point. (Better then IP-country mapping). But should always have a way of manually switching the language. If you are not comfortable you should let the user choose on the start page - although this can be a real pain for returning users, so you should store their preference in a cookie
    Thursday, February 17, 2005 3:48 AM
  • User1521013567 posted
    Thanxs Thats exactly what i have done, Check for a cookie -->if not -->get the HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE -->redirect....
    Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:36 AM