moving code from TFS 2012 to TFS 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I am working on moving the existing code from TFS 2012 to TFS2013.

Under Team Project Selections, there is new branch created as shown in figure.

I am new to TFS, can anyone please provide me step by step procedure in moving code to this new TFS branch please ?

MBH

Monday, March 16, 2015 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hi MBH,  

Thanks for your post.

To move team project source files from your Project.ABC to Project.Global, you should create the new team project in your Project.Global, there will has a default  BuildProcessTemplates folder in this new team project, please destroy(execute tf destroy command) this folder to empty this new team project, then use TFS Integration Tools to move source files from Project.ABC>>teamproject to Project.Global>>newteamproject.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hello - I am working on moving the existing code from TFS 2012 to TFS2013.

Under Team Project Selections, there is new branch created as shown in figure.

I am new to TFS, can anyone please provide me step by step procedure in moving code to this new TFS branch please ?

MBH

Monday, March 16, 2015 9:23 PM
  • Hi J, 

Thanks for your post.

According the screenshot, there’s no any team project show in Team Projects: panel, two reasons will cause this result, first is there’s no team project created in current selected collection, please check that in your collection, second is your current account has no required permission in team projects, so you  won’t see any team project in this select collection.

In  your screenshot, you tried connect to TFS 2013? If yes, what’s the version of your VS?

You want move a team project’s source control from TFS 2012 to TFS 2013 or you just want move an existing solution(stored in TFS 2012) to TFS 2013? Do you want move the solution within history to TFS 2013?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:41 AM
  • ProjectABC has 3 branches, where all the existing VS2012 (BizTalk 2013) code is located and checked in.

Project.Global is the new branch created where I need to move all my existing code ( here we are using VS2013(BizTalk 2013R2 ,TFS 2013)

I checked there was just Team Project name created (Project.Global) and I have permissions for that.

MBH

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:50 AM
  • Hi MBH, 

Thanks for your reply.

The ProjectABC is a team project, and you created 3 branches in this ProjectABC team project? If yes, this ProjectABC created in which collection and in which TFS Server?

Project.Global is a new branch? Project.Global is not a new team project?  Project.Global created in which collection and in which TFS Server?

I’m confuse with your team project and branch concepts. For the TFS collection, team project and branches, please refer to below documents:

Team Project Collection: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd236915.aspx

Team Project:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181477.aspx

Branches:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181425.aspx

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:02 AM
  • After talking to my team, I realized we will be using TFS 2012 only.

A new 'Team Project Collection' is created name 'Project.Global'.

All the team projects under 'Project.ABC' now should be moved to 'Project.Global'.

Again I am new to TFS, Can you please suggest step by step procedure to do this. Will this have any kind of conflict or discrepencies with the previous code in other branch ?

MBH

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:20 PM
  • Hi MBH,  

Thanks for your post.

To move team project source files from your Project.ABC to Project.Global, you should create the new team project in your Project.Global, there will has a default  BuildProcessTemplates folder in this new team project, please destroy(execute tf destroy command) this folder to empty this new team project, then use TFS Integration Tools to move source files from Project.ABC>>teamproject to Project.Global>>newteamproject.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:12 AM