none
VBA Help for Office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there an offline version of VBA Help for Office 2007?  The online Help is useless.  There are no hyperlinks between the (tiny) articles on Objects and the (tiny) articles on Properties, Methods, Events, etc.  There are no lists of Properties, Methods, etc. implemented by an Object.  There are no lists of what Objects implement a particular Property, Method, etc.  All of this used to be in the VBA Help files.  Why did Microsoft destroy the VBA Help system they had and replace it with this useless system?

JDMorgan

• Moved by Forrest GuoModerator Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:10 PM VBA (From:General Office Development)
    Friday, November 16, 2012 10:16 PM

All replies

• To show what I mean, look at the article on the CommandButton Object in the old HTML Help file and on the online "Help" system:

See the difference?  The Web "Help" system has no hyperlinks below the title "CommandButton Control".  These hyperlinks are ESSENTIAL to the functionality of the Help system!!  Without them, it is USELESS!!

JDMorgan

Friday, November 16, 2012 11:09 PM
  • Hi JD

The on-line help is even better than the off-line Help because it's at least up-dated on occasion. Otherwise, the content is the same. I've complained about the lack of links since the change was made to the 2007 Help.

The only suggestion I can make is that you use the "NO" button at the bottom, where it asks you whether the information was helpful. Clicking that will bring up a form where you can tell them exactly what you're missing. If you can formulate it very specifically, along the line of: "I'm missing a hyperlink to the topic XYZ", that will get acted on, at some point. But maybe not for the 2007 (or even 2010) version.

The lists of object members are in the 2010 object model Help for the applications. But I don't think there are any in the VBA language reference...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:16 PM
  • If you compare the Office 2007 VBA Help to old offline .CHM file VBA Help, the text on the pages is identical (except for the fonts.)  The online Help is just the old .CHM file documentation pages with ALL of the hyperlinks connecting them stripped out.  (See the example above.)  Since there isn't any object model diagram for the Microsoft Forms objects, there is no way to find out which Properties, Methods, etc. are available for a form object without going back to an old .CHM Help file.  Likewise, ALL of the hyperlinks from the Properties, Methods, etc. pages are also stripped out, so there is no way to know which objects implement that particular Property, Method, etc. 

The Help documentation on the individual Office programs (Word, Excel, etc.) do have hyperlinks between Objects, Properties, Methods, etc., but there are none in the documentation on the VBA language, including Microsoft Forms.  This makes the documentation useless.  You're better off just looking at old .CHM VBA Help files.

JDMorgan

Monday, November 19, 2012 8:43 PM
  • Since Microsoft has eliminated all support for VBA in non-Microsoft products (it used to be licensed for inclusion by outside vendors.), it appears that Microsoft is now trying to make it as difficult as possible to use VBA in Microsoft products.  Since VBA is included in MS Office, it has long been a "free" (i.e. no cost on top of the cost of Office) way to customize Office products without having to buy Visual Studio packages costing hundreds or thousands of dollars.  If VBA is made too difficult to use, anyone wanting to customize Office will be forced to buy Visual Studio.  The Express Edition of Visual Studio does not allow writing Add-ins for Office programs.  The documentation for Visual Studio is not always very good, but it is more useful than the current documentation for VBA.

JDMorgan

Monday, November 19, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Hi JD,

Thank you sending us the feedback. I will help pass your feedback to product team. 

with regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:14 PM