none
Accessing Document Level Files from an Add-In Solution? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a solution w/ 1x Word 2010 Application Level AddIn Project and 3x Word 2010 Document Level Projects. My goal was to provide a ComboBox on the AddIn Ribbon to select and Load 1 of my 3 Document Level Solutions. Can this be done? I plan to deploy via ClickOnce.

How can I package these all together and how can I call into the installed path \ document name .docx to load the document selected from the dropdown list. This is my last issue before testing! Any help / solutions / article / examples highly appreciated!

Friday, July 29, 2011 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hi RowdyBullGaming,

You can open the document-level application like normal Word document. And based on your goal I would recommend you create an msi installer to deploy your add-in and document-level solution. You can install them in the same folder and when you want to open the document-level solution you need access the path of you add-in from the hive “/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/Word/Addins/[you add-in name]/manifest”. Then open the document-level.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi RowdyBullGaming,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I think your goal is not so clearly for me. Would you please give me more details to reproduce your issue?

I assume what you want is like this:

1.         You create an add-in project.

2.         You have a ribbon tab in you project.

3.         You have a combo box in your customized ribbon.

4.         You have three items in your combo box.

5.         These specific items will relate to specific document-level applications.

6.         When we select specific combo box item the specific document-level application will be open.

7.         You when publish the add-in and document-level together.

Is it right?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 1, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Yes that is exactly what I am looking to do!
    Monday, August 1, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Hi RowdyBullGaming,

You can open the document-level application like normal Word document. And based on your goal I would recommend you create an msi installer to deploy your add-in and document-level solution. You can install them in the same folder and when you want to open the document-level solution you need access the path of you add-in from the hive “/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/Word/Addins/[you add-in name]/manifest”. Then open the document-level.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:26 AM
  • Sounds good I was reading some deployment articles last night that is kind of the plan I came up with! Thanks may have a few question once I get rolling!
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:15 AM