none
Launch a Power Point Presentation From Installed Shortcut RRS feed

• Question

• I have a C# application developed with VS 2008 and a SQL '08 Dbase. I have created a distribution project which works very well. My goal at this point is to have a 1st time user of the installed application be forced to watch a 5 minute Presentation before they can open the application and run it. My distribution project places a shortcut on the end users desktop at the close of the installation. So when the user launches the application for the first time, I want the slideshow launched and then at the conclusion of the slideshow, the user enters the application. After this initial launch of the slideshow, I don't want it launched in the future. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to how to go about doing this?
    Friday, January 7, 2011 3:26 PM

Answers

• The best thing would probably be to have the presentation at the end of the install. But if you want it to be with the application launch you could just store a file or registry entry stating if it was the first time the application has launched.

And a tip too you can save a PowerPoint in a pps file which will launch the show without opening the PowerPoint editor.

Then do something like this

Process p = new Process();
       ProcessStartInfo psi = new ProcessStartInfo(LOCATION OF PPS FILE);
       psi.UseShellExecute = true;
       psi.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Normal;
       p.StartInfo = psi;
       p.Start();

• Edited by Scott Werkema Friday, January 7, 2011 5:00 PM Error in Code
    • Marked as answer by BassMan75 Friday, January 7, 2011 6:58 PM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 4:59 PM

All replies

• The best thing would probably be to have the presentation at the end of the install. But if you want it to be with the application launch you could just store a file or registry entry stating if it was the first time the application has launched.

And a tip too you can save a PowerPoint in a pps file which will launch the show without opening the PowerPoint editor.

Then do something like this

Process p = new Process();
       ProcessStartInfo psi = new ProcessStartInfo(LOCATION OF PPS FILE);
       psi.UseShellExecute = true;
       psi.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Normal;
       p.StartInfo = psi;
       p.Start();

• Edited by Scott Werkema Friday, January 7, 2011 5:00 PM Error in Code
    • Marked as answer by BassMan75 Friday, January 7, 2011 6:58 PM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 4:59 PM
  • http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.process.aspx

Use a process to run the slideshow and keep the flag of wheter to show or not the slideshow in the registry or config file http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/modifyregistry.aspx  http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/SystemConfiguration.aspx

Regards

Friday, January 7, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Scott,

The code you listed, would that be code you enter in C# code, as a registry item, etc.? In my C# solution I have the following code when the main form of my application loads, it is:

private void MPM5ApplicationForm_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

this.Configure(MpmConfiguration.ApplicationVersion);

MainApplication.FormMgr.Add(this);

}

The code calls on a routine to determine what version of the application is being opened. I could envision code being placed here to launch the .pps file.

Friday, January 7, 2011 7:13 PM