none
How do I download and/or install add-ins for the VBA editor? RRS feed

• Question

• I am on Office 2013, and years ago, I used to be able to use add-ins while I was using the VBA editor. This was for things like automatically formatting the program code with indents, etc.

However, now there don't seem to be any add-ins available.  When I go to the Microsoft sight that refers to these add-ins, the link just takes me to a generic download page. But, I have been unable to find these add-ins there. Another site refers to the default add-ins that were included with VBA in office. But, again, I have not been able to find these add-ins. A general internet search tends to give me a million responses about adding add-ins to specific applictions like Excel. I have attempted to filter those out, but have not succeeded in my search for  information on this.

Can anyone tell me how to get these add-ons into my VBA editor?

Thank you very much,

-Joe

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 5:25 PM

All replies

• I use 2 tools MZ Tools (I still use the old free one) and Appspro (VBA Cleaner and Documentor).  These are editor addins.

One thing these only work on 32-bit Excel.
    • Edited by mogulman52 Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 5:54 PM
  • Thank you for the reply, but I have been hesitant to go to a 3rd party, unless I know it well.  A VBA add-in could potentially be very powerful and perhaps mess up a lot of stuff if it is not done correctly, or if it is malicious.

-Joe

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:17 PM
  • I am beginning to thing that the Microsoft ones have disappeared.  I have seen this before, when MS stared putting so much of the content on the internet, that used to be installed with the product.  This way, these additional features of the software can just be deleted by MS, and if you want them, you have to upgrade to the latest version.

-Joe

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:22 PM
  • The addins I provided are supported and not malicious.  I've used them extensively.  The problems with addins they have to be maintained to be useful.  MS doesn't want to expend the effort on that and I don't blame them. Word 2003 came with a Document Imaging software that you could control with VBA.  I used it extensively to scan old PDFs where I didn't have the original doc.  They no longer offered it on subsequent versions of Office.

They often offer the product for free if they discontinue it (Expression Web, Expression Encoder, Expression Design etc). 

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:07 PM