VPN beginner: VPN & SmtpMail RRS feed

• Question

• I need to send emails in my application, and the client has a VPN. Do I need to do anything special in my code for the VPN, or do I just call the SmtpMail.Send method and do I need  install a mail server?
    Any links to tutorials(on sending emails when VPN is involved - in terms of coding and setting up the machine) would be appreciated.
    [I am using framework 1.1 and C# 2003]
    thank you
    Monday, October 31, 2005 9:04 PM

Answers

• 1. If the VPN connection is already established by the user you don't need to do anything special. VPN connection is at a lower level than SMTP/TCP api.

2. If the connection is not established and you would like to establish the connection programatically, there are no managed APIs to do this as of now. You need to use
    RAS apis to do this.

Monday, October 31, 2005 10:01 PM

All replies

• 1. If the VPN connection is already established by the user you don't need to do anything special. VPN connection is at a lower level than SMTP/TCP api.

2. If the connection is not established and you would like to establish the connection programatically, there are no managed APIs to do this as of now. You need to use
    RAS apis to do this.

Monday, October 31, 2005 10:01 PM
  • If you are asking for VPN APIs in managed code, please articulate this by emailing nclasks@microsoft.com.  This email alias goes directly to the System.net team.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2005 6:23 AM