Can't login as admin after publishing RRS feed

• Question

• User90718159 posted

I'm using the default ClubStarterKit, VisualWebDeveloper 2005, and my website is on a 2003 standard edition server.  I am using IIS 6.0.  I have enabled asp in the web server extensions in IIS. 

I have created an admin account in VWD - Website/Security.  I have granted the aspnet system account all rights to the apps_data directory. I can login fine when I browse the website in VWD.  As soon as I switch to an actual browser, nothing works (can't login, create an account doesn't work).  I have tried this with 2003 server web edition with the exact same problem.  There seems to be a problem with SQL 2005 express, and the connection.  I downloaded SQL express 2005, and ASP.net 2.0 from MS's website.  I have tried every option with rights/etc.

Can someone please help? Is the ClubStarterKit just a cruel joke?

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• User2069888697 posted

Are you uploading the site to a remote hosting service. If so you will need to modify the connection string in the web.config file. If your hoster is godaddy do a search there is an entire thread about them.

There is no cruel joke. the major problem is every Hosting company has different hosting policies so there is no 'one solution fits all'.  the best bet would be to contact your hosting company and ask them for help attaching you database and setting up the connection string.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:40 AM
  • User90718159 posted

I am not using a hosting company.  I have a Microsoft 2003 standard edition server with IIS 6.0 on it.  I have a public address.  I also have another web sight running on this server that works perfectly (www.redesystems.com).  I am using host headers to get the requests to the right web site.  Both websites have run on this server and been available publicly, but you couldn't login to the club web site.  It just bounces right back to the login screen, and says "your login was unsuccessful.  If you try to create an account, you get the application error screen.  I am now using just a plain, no changes made to it version of the club web site I just downloaded.

It works fine in Visual web developer, so I'm leaning towards a connection string problem, but I sure could use some help.  I am using 2005 SQL express.

The error message is:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: Web Event
    Event ID: 1315
    Date:  10/29/2007
    Time:  5:08:45 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: REDEWEB1
    Description:
    Event code: 4006
    Event message: Membership credential verification failed.
    Event time: 10/29/2007 5:08:45 PM
    Event time (UTC): 10/30/2007 12:08:45 AM
    Event ID: 440f815505d8452cb6123fa5b469759b
    Event sequence: 4
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1769885732/Root-1-128381765078281250
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /
        Application Path: C:\Inetpub\Greenfield\
        Machine name: REDEWEB1

Process information:
        Process ID: 3172
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Request information:
        Request URL: http://www.greenfieldflyers.com/Default.aspx
        Request path: /Default.aspx
        User host address: 76.251.123.49
        User: 
        Is authenticated: False
        Authentication Type: 
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Name to authenticate: admin

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

P.S. I haven't changed the host record publicly yet so you won't be able to get to the website from the addresss or link above.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 1:07 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

See if  ScottGu's  Blog helps.  Or google the event code, there is plenty on this issue, I just find ScottGu's blogs easier reading.

Scenario:<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

You develop an ASP.NET 2.0 application locally using the new ASP.NET 2.0 Membership, Roles or Profile features.  You create several new users and everything works fine.

<o:p> </o:p>

You then copy the application to a remote server (or even another directory on your local server) and run the application.  For some reason it appears that you are able to connect to your membership database just fine – but when you try to login it doesn’t let you.  It doesn’t throw a connection error, but rather when you attempt to login you get an error message that says something like: “Login attempt unsuccessful, please try again.

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/04/22/Always-set-the-_2200_applicationName_2200_-property-when-configuring-ASP.NET-2.0-Membership-and-other-Providers.aspx

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:23 PM
  • User90718159 posted

I don't know, I can't get it to work  :( 

I changed the ApllicationName declaration in web.config to the code below.  I changed the application name in for this web site in IIS 6.0 under the HOME DIRECTORY tab to /Greenfield.  And I changed the application name in the aspnet_Application table data in the aspnet.mdf data base to /greenfield. 

Same problem. I even tried browsing the actual web site with VisualWebDeveloper2005 and it works perfectly.  When I open it with a regular browser....No login.  

Below is the relevant part of my web.config file.

<membership defaultProvider="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"

applicationName="/Greenfield"

/>

<
    siteMap defaultProvider="AspNetXmlSiteMapProvider" enabled="true">

<providers>

<remove name="AspNetXmlSiteMapProvider"/>

<add name="AspNetXmlSiteMapProvider"

description="SiteMap provider which reads in .sitemap XML files."

type="System.Web.XmlSiteMapProvider"

securityTrimmingEnabled="true"

siteMapFile="Web.sitemap"

/>

</providers>

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:39 PM
  • User90718159 posted

This &**&%#%^&) thing is supposed to be a sample help web site????????????

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:46 PM
  • User65710823 posted

I just went to your site and you don't have anything up.  Was wondering if you had loaded a simple plain old HTML page just to make sure that you can see your site before you start in with the ClubSite.  An "under construction" page would be good.  If that's good, next look at your connection strings.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 10:49 PM
  • User-1007964081 posted

Hi,

did you ever figure this out.  I'm having the same problem and people telling me to use aspnet_regsq.exe, change my permissions around (which I cannot do, I'm not on a domain) or alter my application name (which does not work)...however it all works in VS.  Publish Web Site does something to the security, I don't know what it is.

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:25 PM
  • User729810419 posted

OK, ok.. Here's the scoop.  I FINALLY figured this out myself.  Here's what I did and see if you can relate.  I had my site working and then I FTP everything to the remote server (publish) and my roles I created no longer worked.  I finally found out that you cannot upload your server roles via FTP. 

You can do 3 things

1) get a sql server admin tool (free) from Microsoft and connect and create roles (this didn't work for me).

2) Create a .bak of you files and upload them (apparently this is the normal way but this didn't work for me either).

3)  Or, what I do, I added a web admin folder where your manage roles remotely.  Check out: http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/security/membership.aspx and this will walk you through the process.  There's also some code samples you can cut-and-paste.  This allows you to create a user and assign an admin role.  I'm completely changed all of my files so that they work for me (changed challenge drop dopwn to a free form textfield, etc...).  I will be glad to share my Admin folder's files if you have any issues.  Understand that I'm not a developer but am willing to assist as needed.  I would offer my technical assistance but I'm afraid it would be like the blind leadin the blind.[:)]

by the way, I'm building two sites: www.maritimepilotsinstitute.org and www.lobsterpolluza.com. Check them out!

Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:08 AM
  • User-476847374 posted

Was this user creation and role assignment issue fixed with the extended version club starter kit?  I am using the basic club starter, but would upgrade to extended or 2.0 if it would fix my hosting issues.  I know this is an old string, but if someone has an answer I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ron 

Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:00 PM