"create new sql server database" command is disabled RRS feed

• Question

• User-1225794791 posted

When I right-click "Data Connections" in the VWD Database Explorer pane, the "Create New SQL Server Database" command from the popup menu is disabled. It was not disabled in Beta 2. Anybody else having this same problem? Anybody know how to fix it? Thank you!

Thursday, November 10, 2005 12:36 PM

All replies

• User-1063402400 posted
    Same here. At first I thought that this was due to me using SQL Server 2000, alas this is not the case.
    Maybe the broke it, who knows.

Rob

Thursday, November 10, 2005 12:48 PM
  • User-938264425 posted

I am having the same issue. Anybody knows what's going on?

Monday, November 14, 2005 6:23 PM
  • User-1779874856 posted
    This behavior is by design. Please check for available features in product comparison table at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/compare/default.aspx.

As indicated in the table, creating database is supported for local connections only for express SKU. If you have SQL Express installed on the machine then you can create a connection to that and this feature will be enabled for the connection. If you have SQL Server installed on the machine, then you can create database using SQLCmd or osql command.

Wendy

Web Platform & Tools
    Tuesday, November 15, 2005 5:27 PM
  • User-12838916 posted
    Can you elaborate a little more on this? I'm connecting locally to the default SQLEXPRESS database. I can browse the database just fine in Database Explorer. After I successfully "Add Connection..." to SQLEXPRESS "Create New SQL Server Database" is still disabled.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2005 11:13 AM
  • User-1779874856 posted
    That is correct. Basically for VWD, this command is not available. If you would like to create a new SQLExpress database, you can either use SQL command or follow these steps: 1. Create a new web site, this will create an App_Data folder under the web root. 2. Right click the App_Data folder to add a new item and choose SQL Database. This will create a new SQLExpress database and add a new connection for you in the Data Explorer.

Wendy
    Tuesday, November 22, 2005 1:51 PM
  • User-1715846213 posted
    In the 'Add Connection' dialog box... 1. Select/Enter the Server Name 2. In the Select or Enter a Database Name dropdown, enter the name of the database you'd like to create... 3. Click OK and the database will be created... Bob
    Saturday, November 26, 2005 3:10 PM
  • User-579222066 posted

Hi Bob,[:)]

Thanks for the good advice...after wrestling with the installation of 'Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition' for many hours I finally was able to get it installed.

Then to my horror, I saw that 'Create New Sql Server Database' was greyed out, I came close to crying -- the frustration was unbelievable.

Your good advice allowed me to create the database.

Thanks again, I hope I can return the favor some day,

Pat

Friday, March 10, 2006 9:07 PM