none
Customize map style RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

My company is considering using Azure maps as our map provider, and i have been tasked with testing and exploring this option. 

We are developing in Angular and i know the support for this is fairly new. But i cannot for the life of me find any way to customize the map styles.

For example:

If i wanted to use the basic satellite style with ocean labels, or maybe the satellite_road_labels but only display Ocean labels. 

Would this be possible? And say i wanted to change the font or color of these labels, is there currently any way to do this? 

If not, how can i use another base map (mapbox, bing etc) with azure maps?  Maybe using blank_Accessible but how would one import the map? Do i have to use shapefiles and load them as an image or tilelayer?

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 9:02 AM

All replies

• Azure Maps has not exposed support for custom styling yet (planned). It is possible to use some undocumented methods to access the underlying rendering layers and to override their settings. Here is a tool that lets you inspect the current map styles: https://azuremapscodesamples.azurewebsites.net/experimental/Inspect%20features%20under%20the%20mouse.html

If you are familar with Mapbox GL JS, the Azure Maps web SDK uses the same rendering engine and you can access it using the map's map property (for example map.map). 

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Wednesday, October 30, 2019 12:08 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 12:08 AM
  • @JoneTorg

Please check the above response and let us know if you need further help.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:01 AM
  • This is really helpful, thank you Ricky. I started digging with map.map and it seems like you can do most things here, although this "manual" approach is quite cumbersome. Hopefully it will be enough until custom styling is officially supported. 

Friday, November 1, 2019 7:43 AM