none
SharePoint 2013 Active Directory Groups represented as c:0+.w|<SID> in UserInformation list instead of c:0+.w|Domain\Groupname RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are running on SharePoint Server 2013.When we add AD groups as permissions, we see that the group name is being displayed properly in the permissions. Whereas when I click on the groupname I see the SID with the Sharepoint specific claims characters, instead of domain\groupname. I understand that the claims characters are because of claims mode. But I expected domain\groupname instead of SID. Is this the right behaviour.

When I call SiteData.GetContent web service, I get the SID of the group name instead of the domain\groupname.

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks

Naga

Friday, May 16, 2014 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, the identity claim for an AD group is based on the SID of the group. The claim encoding for an Active Directory group consists of the following sections:

c:0+.w|<SID>
    •"c" for a claim other than identity
    •"+" for a group SID
    •"." for a string
    •"w" for a Windows claim

More information:
    http://www.sharepointfire.com/MyBlog/2013/11/get-ad-group-identity-claim-in-sharepoint-2013/

Thanks,
    Dennis Guo
    TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Dennis Guo
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Naga k Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:20 PM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 7:24 AM

All replies