none
Top of my form is off the top of the screen and no way to scroll to it. RRS feed

• Question

• My application has been running flawlessly for years.

Now all of a sudden I open a form and the top of it is off the screen and no way to scroll to it. The top contains my [Close] button, so no way to even close the application. Minimizing the ribbon did not help.

Why did this happen and how do I fix it?

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try commenting out any code running behind the form and see if the top part is still hidden when you open it again.

Just a thought...

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:40 PM
  • Hello,

What's your access version? What's the build number? Have you updated office recently? If so, please try to revert to a previous version to check if the issue still exists.

Do you have any code in Form load or form open event? What's the result of theDBGuy's suggestion? If you create a new Form, will the top part of the new Form be hidden?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Hi AllTheGoodNamesWereTaken,

you had mentioned that,"The top contains my [Close] button, so no way to even close the application."

you can try to use shortcut keys to close the form or close the Application.

To close the Application you can use Alt + F4 Key.

To close the form you can use CTRL + F4 Key.

other thing you had mentioned that,"the top of it is off the screen and no way to scroll to it".

you can use "Page UP" and "Page Down" keys to scroll the Form.

also you can press Tab key to move to the next control in the form. by this way you can also try to scroll the form.

there are many ways available to close and scroll forms and other objects in Access Application.

Reference:

Keyboard shortcuts for Access

further , you can open the form in design view and check Scrollbars property is set or not.

if it is not set then try to set the correct value for this property to apply the scrollbars.

check whether you can reproduce the issue with multiple forms or the issue is only exist on this particular form.

if the issue is only exist on this specific form then it is possible that something get corrupted in Access Application.

you can try to Compact and Repair your database to remove any kind of corruption.

try to implement suggestion above and let us know whether your issue get solved or not.

we will try to provide you further suggestions to solve the issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 1, 2017 5:31 AM
  • I don't think my users are going to want to click Page Up every time the form is displayed. Anyway if I do that, then leave the form and come back, it reverts to missing the top again. Compact/Repair does not help.

This is Access 2010. I don't know how to access the build since Microsoft took away the Help--About option. The Help system in Access is now useless as all it gives is a generic screen completely unrelated to the requested problem.

Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:00 PM
  • This is Access 2010. I don't know how to access the build since Microsoft took away the Help--About option.

If you click File -> Help you should get a page with detailed version info.  For example:

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:56 PM
  • My application has been running flawlessly for years.

Now all of a sudden I open a form and the top of it is off the screen and no way to scroll to it. The top contains my [Close] button, so no way to even close the application. Minimizing the ribbon did not help.

Why did this happen and how do I fix it?

Did you make any changes to the form before this started happening?

Is the form bigger than the application window?  Is the bottom of the form completely displayed?  is there a vertical scroll bar?

Is there a control at the bottom of the form that is getting the focus when the form opens, forcing the form to scroll to the bottom?

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:59 PM
  • Hi AllTheGoodNamesWereTaken,

did you try to check for the scrollbars property of the form, as I suggested you in my previous reply?

is that set correctly?

I suggest you to create a new database and try to reproduce the issue with it.

check whether the issue is only available with that specific form or it can be reproduce using other database too.

other thing you can try to copy all the objects and code to new form with in same database and check whether new form works correctly or not.

what about mouse scroll button. is it working on that form?

if possible then you can post your database with dummy data.

we will try to make a test with it and try to check it with different versions of Access to see the output.

as a work around you can try to use Form.SetFocus Method to set focus to first control on the form. by this way the top of the form will display all the time when you load or open the form.

Reference:

Form.SetFocus Method (Access)

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:06 AM
  • Have you tried setting the Auto Center property of the Form to Yes?

https://www.techonthenet.com/access/forms/center_form2007.php

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:29 PM
  • Sorry, got diverted to other things. I will follow up on these questions/suggestions in a day or two (or three).
    Friday, December 15, 2017 6:28 PM