Mac build host without network connection, is it possible? RRS feed

• Question

• User157736 posted

So I have a mac book that I intend to build the IOS part of my Xamarin.Forms project on. It is not possible to pair them through Visual Studios because the networking on my mac is messed up.

Is it possible to move the files from Visual Studios on my Windows machine to my Mac machine (using USB) and be able to build and run the app on a simulator? If it is possible, how would I build it?

Thank you for your help, I'm a complete Xamarin newbie!

Friday, September 11, 2015 12:08 AM

Answers

• User65389 posted

@SpencerSmith

If you want to work productive with VS and develop also iOS-App's, I think, you have to have a working network-connection from your windows machine to your mac (and to the internet). Else, I think, you will have various problems. As alternative, you can work with Xamarin Studio directly on the MAC. But then - I think (not absolutely sure) - you are not able to develop WP-App's. So... I suggest you, to bring your network-connection to work (I would do that, as I think the future is by VS not by XS) or - if you don't need to develop for WP - have a look at Xamarin studio for MAC

As you are new, my starter-guide may help you anyway. You can find it here;
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/36821/quickstart-guide-to-start-developing-with-xamarin-forms#latest

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 8:43 AM

All replies

• User157736 posted

tl;dr

Can I move over my Xamarin.Forms files to my Mac to build/run? If so, how?

Friday, September 11, 2015 5:46 AM
  • User65389 posted

@SpencerSmith

If you want to work productive with VS and develop also iOS-App's, I think, you have to have a working network-connection from your windows machine to your mac (and to the internet). Else, I think, you will have various problems. As alternative, you can work with Xamarin Studio directly on the MAC. But then - I think (not absolutely sure) - you are not able to develop WP-App's. So... I suggest you, to bring your network-connection to work (I would do that, as I think the future is by VS not by XS) or - if you don't need to develop for WP - have a look at Xamarin studio for MAC

As you are new, my starter-guide may help you anyway. You can find it here;
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/36821/quickstart-guide-to-start-developing-with-xamarin-forms#latest

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 8:43 AM
  • User157736 posted

Thank you! It just so happens that I got it working last night. I have my Mac Build Host running in Virtual Box on my Windows machine and I figured out finally how to get them paired and working together.

Thanks!

Friday, September 11, 2015 11:00 PM