Who launchs Session0 RRS feed

• Question

Reference: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2007/07/24/sessions-desktops-and-windows-stations/

Question:

although some posts are gone through , I'm still confused.

1. Which component is in charge of launching Session0?

2. If each Session has Winsta0 , then is  Session0's Winlogon visible?

3. If each Session has Winlogon , why don't users use only one Winlogon?

Marcus

Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>> Which component is in charge of launching Session0?

A session consists of all of the processes and other system objects that represent a single user’s logon session.  These objects include all windows, desktops and windows stations.

I think the session is an abstract concept. The operating system will to run it.

>> 2. If each Session has Winsta0 , then is  Session0's Winlogon visible?

this is called Winsta0. Under Winsta0 there are three desktops loaded: Winlogon (the logon screen), Default (the user desktop) and Disconnect.  All three of these have separate logical displays, which is why your main desktop disappears if you lock the workstation.

the display switches from Default to Winlogon and there is no user interaction between the two

I think three of these have separate logical displays. So the Winlogon is not visible.

>> 3. If each Session has Winlogon , why don't users use only one Winlogon?

About the issue. From the blog I do not know how it is. We are trying to contact people who write blog. If we find anything, I will inform you.

Best Regards,

Hart

• Proposed as answer by Hart Wang Monday, February 15, 2016 9:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by May Wang - MSFT Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:15 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> Which component is in charge of launching Session0?

A session consists of all of the processes and other system objects that represent a single user’s logon session.  These objects include all windows, desktops and windows stations.

I think the session is an abstract concept. The operating system will to run it.

>> 2. If each Session has Winsta0 , then is  Session0's Winlogon visible?

this is called Winsta0. Under Winsta0 there are three desktops loaded: Winlogon (the logon screen), Default (the user desktop) and Disconnect.  All three of these have separate logical displays, which is why your main desktop disappears if you lock the workstation.

the display switches from Default to Winlogon and there is no user interaction between the two

I think three of these have separate logical displays. So the Winlogon is not visible.

>> 3. If each Session has Winlogon , why don't users use only one Winlogon?

About the issue. From the blog I do not know how it is. We are trying to contact people who write blog. If we find anything, I will inform you.

Best Regards,

Hart

• Marked as answer by May Wang - MSFT Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:15 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Thanks, I guess:according to some articles iwhen a user logon, a logon session is created。Does this mean some systerm account logon siliently,then session0 is created??

Marcus

Thursday, February 4, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

According to your article.

I the Session 0 is the base session where services run and is typically also the console session. The diagrams below show the relationships between sessions, windows stations, desktops and services in Windows Vista as compared to earlier operating systems.

Regards,

Hart

Friday, February 5, 2016 3:20 AM