none
APP fails to submit to the store due to certification error: Privacy policy not provided

Question

• I tried to publish my app 3 times in 3 days and each time it says:

Notes from Testers:     The privacy policy provided for this app in the app description page is not complete. It fails to inform users of the personal information transmitted by your App and how that information is used, stored, secured, and disclosed. Please see requirement 4.1.1 for details on what is an acceptable privacy policy.

Now there is no network capability is applied to my app. I have deselected Internet Client capability from appxmanifest. I read all guidelines like below. What is the Description page they are mentioning here? Please help. I wanted to publish this app before 28 to participate in app Builder contest.  But this makes it difficult.

4.1.1 Your app must have a privacy statement if it is network-capable

If your app has the technical ability to transmit data, you must maintain a privacy policy. You must provide access to your privacy policy in the Description page of your app, as well as in the app’s settings as displayed in the Windows Settings charm.

App capability declarations that make your app network-capable include: internetClient, internetClientServer and privateNetworkClientServer.

Your privacy policy must inform users of the personal information transmitted by your app and how that information is used, stored, secured and disclosed, and describe the controls that users have over the use and sharing of their information, how they may access their information, and it must comply with applicable laws and regulations.

sonal

Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:11 AM

Answers

• I too spent many weeks trying to get this resolved when I published my first app. It turns out that the "Description Page" they mention is on the Dev Center website where you submit your app. In the Dashboard, under your App click "Edit" then "Description". The last entry (scroll down to bottom) is "Privacy Policy" and needs to point to a webpage (which is fully compatible with IE 10/11 - this is a gotcha) which says you don't collect or transmit personnel information from within the app (assuming that you don't).
    • Marked as answer by SonalMac Friday, February 28, 2014 5:04 AM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 12:54 AM

All replies

• already filed it in at the notes?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Yes, I mentioned it in my notes to developers.

sonal

Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:52 PM
  • I too spent many weeks trying to get this resolved when I published my first app. It turns out that the "Description Page" they mention is on the Dev Center website where you submit your app. In the Dashboard, under your App click "Edit" then "Description". The last entry (scroll down to bottom) is "Privacy Policy" and needs to point to a webpage (which is fully compatible with IE 10/11 - this is a gotcha) which says you don't collect or transmit personnel information from within the app (assuming that you don't).
    • Marked as answer by SonalMac Friday, February 28, 2014 5:04 AM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 12:54 AM
  • Thanks a lot, Stephen Strong.
    Finally, my app passed in Windows Store! It's only because of you and your suggestion! I did submitted my app 4 times and 3 days and each time it failed with same reason. Although I had a webpage for my app, it didn't included any privacy statement. (Because my app was not declaring any capabilities. ) Still they were giving very generic message which I could have never break out without your reply.
    (I was about to give up Windows 8 App development, if I could not resolve these issue. )
    Thanks again!!

sonal

Friday, February 28, 2014 5:04 AM