How to create popup listbox? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my MDI application I have a button in a CDockablePane. When clicking the button I have diaply a popup listbox with image and text.

Is it possible to create popup listbox by subclassing CListBox?

Monday, December 3, 2018 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hello,

when you click the button you can open a CDialog without frame which is fully occupied by a listbox control. To get it to the appropiate position, you could use the button coordinates and SetWindowPos.

Regards, Guido

Monday, December 3, 2018 7:20 AM
  • Hello,

when you click the button you can open a CDialog without frame which is fully occupied by a listbox control. To get it to the appropiate position, you could use the button coordinates and SetWindowPos.

Regards, Guido

Without dialog can we create a popup listbox by subclassing CListbox?
    Monday, December 3, 2018 7:24 AM
  • Without dialog can we create a popup listbox by subclassing CListbox?

IMO, CListbox is a control in a dialog, it is not a dialog. So: no, you cannot.

Look at this: https://docs.microsoft.com/cpp/mfc/hierarchy-chart

Regards, Guido

Monday, December 3, 2018 7:32 AM
  • In my MDI application I have a button in a CDockablePane. When clicking the button I have diaply a popup listbox with image and text.

Is it possible to create popup listbox by subclassing CListBox?

The standard way is with a Popup Menu, like CSplitButton Class
    Monday, December 3, 2018 8:30 AM
  • Controls expect to be child windows.  For example, they send notifications to their parent windows.  So a control that is not a child window will probably exhibit unusual behavior.

• Edited by RLWA32 Monday, December 3, 2018 12:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jack Zhang - AAA Thursday, December 13, 2018 7:44 AM
    Monday, December 3, 2018 12:45 PM
  • You could create a WS_POPUP CWnd and create a CListCtrl as a child of this CWnd.
    See the sample here:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsUFbfkvUEyfjVNbQygstiu_Qb3X

-Seetharam

Monday, December 3, 2018 6:54 PM
  • Hello,

Have you got any updates? If your case has been solved, please help to mark answers. If not, just feel free to contact us.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 4, 2019 6:47 AM