none
Access 2010 database is creating back up copies of itself RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using Microsoft Access 2016 and this is the second or third time that Microsoft Access continues to create several backup files located in the work directory.

I have a few questions:

(1) How can I prevent this happening again?

(2) How can I fix the issue so all the information is saved in to one database file?

Here is a copy of the files:

03/28/2018  04:02 PM        40,570,880 Backup of Backup of Backup of Backup of Backup of Backup of Backup of Tracking.accdb
    04/02/2018  08:25 AM        14,123,008 Backup of Backup of Backup of Backup of Backup of Backup of Tracking.accdb
    04/02/2018  08:26 AM        14,147,584 Backup of Backup of Backup of Backup of Backup of Tracking.accdb
    04/02/2018  08:27 AM        14,147,584 Backup of Backup of Backup of Backup of Tracking.accdb
    04/02/2018  08:21 AM        14,155,776 Backup of Backup of Backup of Tracking.accdb
    03/29/2018  11:26 AM        14,114,816 Backup of Backup of Tracking.accdb
    03/30/2018  03:03 PM        14,184,448 Backup of Tracking.accdb

Monday, April 2, 2018 1:10 PM

All replies

• The Database is being shared on a network drive.

Monday, April 2, 2018 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

To get more suggestion on the issue, I would help to move the thread to Access forum for more help. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 2:39 AM
  • Hi Phil,

This sounds like some file corruption could be happening. Have you tried doing a Compact & Repair?

Otherwise, you may have to describe your setup and what is exactly is happening when the problem happens.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:00 AM
  • The Database is being shared on a network drive.

Is it split into separate front and back end files, with each user opening their own copy of the front end?  If not, corruption is more likely.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 11:25 AM
  • Are users getting a message something like "Microsoft Access has stopped working..."?

But first, make sure if it is being shared on a network drive, then as Ken suggests, it needs to be split into Front-end and Back-end files. Then each user needs their own copy of the Front-end file on their own machine with data files linked to the Back-end file located on a shared-drive.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 2:48 PM
  • Do you have the database set to Compact On Close?

A situation I have seen in which database copies are made like this is when a compact/repair fails because of insufficient memory, disk space or some other reason.  The compact/repair may fail without error, leaving a backup of the database file in the same folder as the database.

Miriam Bizup Access MVP

Thursday, April 5, 2018 9:54 AM
  • Hi Phil Taylor Jr,

Is your issue solved?

I find that you did not follow up this thread after posting the issue.

If your issue is solved then I suggest you to post your solution and mark it as an answer.

If your issue is still exist then try to refer the solution given by the community members.

If then also you have any further questions then let us know about it.

We will try to provide further suggestions to solve the issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:10 AM