Can we write the mock test cases for .NET MVC application model classes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are writing the unit testcases(mock using Moq framework) for our .NET MVC application.

I have 2 questions :

1. Can we write Mock testcases for .NET MVC model classes?

2. I have done the mock test for Get_data method.  But i could not do mock test the save method using Moq framework.  Can you please help with any samples.  And again i am mentioning here, i am trying to write a mock test for model classes.  Is it possible?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Palani.

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:57 PM

All replies

• Yes sure,

But you have to remember that by using Mock you isolate the model from the underline layers so you just test the interaction with the model not the DB

[TestMethod]
    public void MyTestMethod() {
    // Arrange
    Product prod  = new Product {Name = "prod1", Price = 275M};

Mock<IProductRepository> mock = new Mock<IProductRepository>();
    mock.Setup(m => m.SaveProduct()).Returns(true);
    var target = mock.Object

// Act
    Var result = target.Save();

// Assert
    Assert.AreEqual(true, result);

Actually this is a simple example but not a real one because in my real application I didn't make repository return true or false I just throw exception but it just to simplify the idea to you

My advice to you start reading more deeply about unit testing, you can try faking framework like DevMgicFake it will help you doing some kind of faking and unit testing approaches see this link : DevMagicFake on CodePlex

Thanks

We are volunteers, if the reply help you mark it as your answer. thanks!!

Blog: http://mohamedradwan.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:04 AM