none
In a Records Library updating metadata in the Document Information Panel does not update Sharepoint and vica versa RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks

In a Records Library updating metadata in the Document Information Panel does not update Sharepoint and vica versa. We have a team of users who build Libraries and Content Types. I understood that we were building Document libraries in Records Centres as we wanted to use Read Only to lock them down for the users as Document Sets cannot be turned into Records. Turns out that they were in fact building Records Libraries turning off the automatic creation of Records and leaving everything as Documents, not a problem initially. However they now want select individuals to be able to edit the metadata on the Documents as part of a Review Process before Information Management Policies deal with their Expiration.

Here is the problem. Unlike A Document library where editing the Properties updates the DIP and editing the DIP updates Sharepoint properties, in a Records Library editing the Properties does not update the DIP and editing the DIP does not update Sharepoint properties.

Has anyone else seen this, and does anyone know a way of fixing it. We would like to avoid recreating the Libraries as Document Libraries as there are thousands across many Sites.

Ross
    Friday, February 8, 2019 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue occurs on all fields, or it only happens on specify fields with certain field type?

Please try to add a new field to the library, then check whether it displays in DIP. And, see if the field value will sync between library and DIP. Also, remove the field and compare the results.

Best regards,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, February 11, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Linda

This occurs across all Column Types.

Also, if I change a Column from Hidden to Optional it appears in the Edit or View Properties Forms but not the DIP. If I add a Column to the Content Type it appears in the Edit or View Properties Forms but not the DIP.

This is similar, but not identical, to the issue of Choice Columns. If you add a Content Type to a Library with a Choice Column set to 'A' then change the default to 'B' this shows up in the Edit or View Properties Forms but not the DIP, it will remain as 'A'. This occurs in Document and Record Libraries.

Cheers

Ross

Monday, February 11, 2019 11:24 AM
  • Linda

It appears I might have this wrong Further investigation shows this happens in any Document Library or Records Library if it is in a Records Centre. However everything works as normal if the libraries are in a Document Centre.

It turns out that the Document Parser is turned off, therefor Property Promotion or Demotion is turned off. I have found a small bit of powershell to turn the Parser on and have shown it to work.

Does anyone why the Parser is turned off in Records Centres and what, if any, would be the implications of turning it on?

Cheers Ross

Monday, February 11, 2019 12:26 PM