Running 2017 VSIXInstaller on the command line installs more than just the .vsix file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There

It's been requested by one of our program departments to install some extensions for Visual Studio 2017 in our common labs. We use Configuration Manager to install software because who wants to go around to 300 - 400 computers and run the installer manually on each one. That, however, is just background info as I'm still in the testing phase on multiple VMs.

What I'm seeing is when I run vsixinstaller.exe /a "<path to vsix file" from an admin command prompt is that it looks like VSIXInstaller is completing the install of Unity3d and Cocos as well as installing the .vsix file. Is this normal? Is there a way for me to define that it only installs the requested extension and not other things?

As a user, I love VS2017 but as a ConfigMgr admin it's really been a pain in the you know where.

Thanks

Sunday, August 13, 2017 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike Horton,

I have tested installing Visual Studio extensions with VSIXInstaller.exe for my Visual Studio 2017. I’m installing Unity Refactor Helper extension for my Visual Studio 2017 with VSIXInstaller.exe and the result is the same as install it through UnityRefactorHelper.vsix directly. It doesn’t install any other things.

If the extension you installed installs any other things for your Visual Studio, please tell us which extension you installed. I will test in my side to check whether this extension reference/rely on other extensions which lead to other things installed.

>> Is there a way for me to define that it only installs the requested extension and not other things?

Please open Visual Studio 2017 Tools menu -> Extensions and Updates to check what extensions your Visual Studio has installed before you install other extensions. You could records the extensions based on the categories on left side of Extensions and Updates window.

After installing, please go to Extensions and Updates again to check whether there has any other extensions installed exclude the one you want.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:31 AM
  • Hi WeiWei

I'll have to do some further testing later today once I get a chance to image one of my test computers to verify what you want me to look for in the Tools menu but I can tell you this much...

The extension is the AnkhSVN extension from https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=vs-publisher-303797.AnkhSVN-SubversionSupportforVisualStudio

Our install of Visual Studio Community is the full install (anything and everything) and when I run vsixinstaller.exe /a <path>anhksvn.vsix it looks like it's trying to finish off/update the installation of Unity Editor(?) and CocosCreator. From what I remember there's nothing new in the extensions but I was more looking to make sure ankhSVN was installed/removed as needed.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:46 PM
  • VSIX packages can indicate dependencies on various Visual Studio workloads as prerequisites.  It's probably just going through some verification steps for those declared prerequisites.  I've seen the VSIX installer do that for my own packages even though I know the prerequisites my packages need are already installed.

• Edited by EWoodruff Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:53 PM
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:53 PM
  • Is that something that's listed in the manifest file that I can maybe edit out?
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:03 PM
  • Hi Mike Horton,

>> when I run vsixinstaller.exe /a <path>anhksvn.vsix it looks like it's trying to finish off/update the installation of Unity Editor(?) and CocosCreator.

Before .vsix installing, all Visual Studio related process need to be shut down. Because .vsix installation will change Visual Studio shell. It need to make sure not affect other Visual Studio component when installing.

And after installing AnkhSVN extension in my Visual Studio 2017, I don’t find any other extra extension installed.

>> Is that something that's listed in the manifest file that I can maybe edit out?

I have checked the extension.vsixmanifest file and I also don’t find any configuration that will change Unity and CocosCreator. It only configure <Prerequisites> for Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.CoreEditor which is shown as below. So I think there doesn’t have anything need to edit in extension.vsixmanifest file.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Weiwei Cai Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:03 AM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:13 AM