none
VS ToolBox Display abnormal style with grid border line

Question

• I use Vs 2015, VS ToolBox usually display as below screenshot

what's the matter?

,,it just display odd..but it works fine

DON'T TRY SO HARD,THE BEST THINGS COME WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT THEM TO.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 1:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm a new writer in this forum, but I hope to help and learn about MS technologies.

Matthew, I had the same issue that you and I solved changing the color schema of all IDE to another different that 'Dark' and then go back and select 'Dark' again.

It seem that is a bug with the toobox background color when you press a certain key combination, but in my way you can solve it.

I hope that this information would be useful for you and for all people with the same problem.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Cayetano H. Osma.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Matthew,

Is this problem occurs every time when you open Visual Studio or random?

Please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Close all third part software when running Visual Studio, such as antivirus, which often causes strange problem.
    2. Remove all extensions installed on your Visual Studio one by one to check which extension may cause this problem.
    3. Please try run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Devenv.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    4. Reset all settings through Visual Studio menu Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings.
    5. Repair your Visual Studio by Control Panel -> Programs -> Visual Studio -> Change -> Repair.

Please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, December 25, 2015 7:37 AM
  • it happen random.

i even don't know how to reproduce it.

but i would make this thread as "Alert me", and if i encounter this case again, i would follow your steps.

thanks.

Friday, December 25, 2015 8:17 AM
  • Hi Matthew,

Is this problem happen again and what the test result for above steps?

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, December 28, 2015 1:37 AM
  • it seems that would happen after i use the ToolBox search box ,

by the way,

the last time is 2015/10/28 in my ActivityLog.Xml, i don't know why,

could i delete the ActivityLog.Xml safely?

Monday, December 28, 2015 4:26 AM
  • Hi Matthew LEAN,

>>the last time is 2015/10/28 in my ActivityLog.Xml, i don't know why, could i delete the ActivityLog.Xml safely?

Yes, we can delete it. Then please make sure the /Log switch of Visual Studio is opened. If not, please open this switch with command "Devenv /log" as administrator. Then the ActivityLog.xml will generate again.

In addition, do you have tried other steps in my first reply? Please tell us the test result. We need to troubleshoot this problem with above steps.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:20 AM
  • sorry,I didn't follow other step yet.

i think of the first thing i must do is I am confident of reproduce the problem before i follow your steps.

I use /log to regenerate log file now.

I just install three third parts

ILSpy,Pinvoke.Net, and devexpress

because somewhat reason, i could not delete devexpress.

And i already close all antivirus software..and all third part except for windows.

luckly, i reopen dev, and meet the problem again, i post the toolbox revelant log below

<entry>
        <record>851</record>
        <time>2015/12/29 03:01:44.827</time>
        <type>Information</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>Begin package load [Toolbox Controls Installer Package]</description>
        <guid>{2C298B35-07DA-45F1-96A3-BE55D91C8D7A}</guid>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>852</record>
        <time>2015/12/29 03:01:44.830</time>
        <type>Information</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>End package load [Toolbox Controls Installer Package]</description>
        <guid>{2C298B35-07DA-45F1-96A3-BE55D91C8D7A}</guid>
      </entry>
    </activity>

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:27 AM
  • Hi Matthew LEAN.D,

According to the ActivityLog.xml, there may be something wrong with ToolboxInstallerPackage when installing Visual Studio 2015. I suggest you repair your Visual Studio first.

In addition, these error message all related to regedit, please try install the same Visual Studio 2015 version on another computer which has the same OS. It can help us make sure whether it is caused by computer environment.

>> I just install three third parts, ILSpy,Pinvoke.Net, and DevExpress, because somewhat reason, i could not delete devexpress.

If possible, please uninstall the DevExpress to confirm whether it destroy the regedit. If you want to use it, you can re-install it after you verify the problem.

If after install on another computer and repair your Visual Studio still can't resolve your problem, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 1:25 AM
  • IF it is possible , i could follow your step.

but I think it is impossible for a bit time since i am on leave at my countryside native place for some health problem

this issue does not impact my works , just it show a little bit odd.

Anyway, thanks.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 2:13 AM
  • Hi Matthew LEAN.D,

Since you will look at this problem later, I suggest you change this thread type as General Discuss by the Change Type hyperlink on top of this thread.

Then after return to continue this problem, please feel free to change the issue type back to Question by opening the Options list at the top of the post editor window, and changing the type. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 2:20 AM
  • OK. i had did that.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:00 AM
  • Hi,

I'm a new writer in this forum, but I hope to help and learn about MS technologies.

Matthew, I had the same issue that you and I solved changing the color schema of all IDE to another different that 'Dark' and then go back and select 'Dark' again.

It seem that is a bug with the toobox background color when you press a certain key combination, but in my way you can solve it.

I hope that this information would be useful for you and for all people with the same problem.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Cayetano H. Osma.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:36 AM
  • Ah. Yeah, i am not alone!

thank you.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 10:45 AM
  • Hi Matthew LEAN.D,

Do you have tried Cayetano H. Osma's method for this problem? Please tell us the finial result for this problem after you come back.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, January 04, 2016 8:30 AM
  • follow  Cayetano H. Osma's approach.

changing to another color theme. and change back.

Yes. the toolbox would get normal

Monday, January 04, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Hi Matthew LEAN.D,

Since the Cayetano H. Osma's solution resolve the problem, please change this thread type back to Question and then mark his/her reply as answer. It is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

In addition, you can post this problem to Visual Studio Connect -> Report a Bug to feedback this issue, which can let Microsoft engineer to check whether it is a bug in Visual Studio. And then share the link here to let others who has the same problem add comments.

https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, January 04, 2016 9:24 AM
  • OK, i would do that,

And i would delete the Xml log. because it's too long to read other replies.

thanks all

Monday, January 04, 2016 9:33 AM