none
.NET exe in startup folder doesn't behave the same after windows update RRS feed

• Question

• (XP Pro x64)

Hi,

I have a kiosk like computer in my home (arcade). I configured automatic logon (administrator). I've put a shortcut of my .NET program in the startup folder so when I boot the computer, my .NET program automatically execute.

My program spawns another native (written in c) .exe upon some user interaction. I had the stock XP Pro x64 installed and everything worked fine.

Now that I installed the 80-like patches on windows update (including latest sp), it doesn't work anymore: The spawned process (the other .exe) freeze instantly (it starts frozen, no chance to open, have to end process).

It seems like it is occurring only when my program is started via automatic logon in the startup folder.

The odd thing is that if I close my program and re-open it myself without rebooting, everything is working fine.

I guess it's a new security feature but I don't know which patch to uninstall to get the old behavior..

Thanks

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:35 PM

Answers

• Sounds like it might be a timing issue where something that the .exe depends on is not loaded and the .exe is not dealing with it properly.

You could attach a debugger to the .exe to try to figure out what call it is hung on.

You might try introducing a delay before launching the .exe and see if that makes things better.  Even if it is not ideal, it might put you on the right path to discovering what is happening.

• Marked as answer by SamAgain Friday, July 30, 2010 7:14 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 1:49 AM

All replies

• Sounds like it might be a timing issue where something that the .exe depends on is not loaded and the .exe is not dealing with it properly.

You could attach a debugger to the .exe to try to figure out what call it is hung on.

You might try introducing a delay before launching the .exe and see if that makes things better.  Even if it is not ideal, it might put you on the right path to discovering what is happening.

• Marked as answer by SamAgain Friday, July 30, 2010 7:14 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 1:49 AM
  • We temporarily mark a reply, please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    Friday, July 30, 2010 7:16 AM