Integrating lightswitch into existing Web Application RRS feed

• Question

• Is this possible? I have a web Application(Dynamic Data Application). I would like to use lightswitch for the UI screens.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:30 AM

Answers

• Hello Kenogbeb, I had the same dilemma. Within the company we had a dymanic data application, but users were complaining about the user interface, sometimes it's very painful navigate between screens, add, edit or delete data.

You could have two ways:

-Create a totally new project, and to use the existing database as the lightswitch data source. The only thing you are going to reuse is the database. :(

-If you are using Dynamic Data you have an existing data model written for Entity Framework or LinqToSql, you could add to that project a Domain Service class an expose the model, and to use it as a WCF data source to your Lightswitch app. In this way you will reuse all the work in your data model. This tutorial could help you http://blogs.infragistics.com/blogs/mihail_mateev/archive/2011/01/21/using-visual-studio-lightswitch-applications-with-wcf-ria-services.aspx

It's possible that you have some custom logic written for that model, you could invoke it using the task model proposed in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/lightswitchgeneral/thread/91031b6a-59b5-4f2f-a43c-772d90e33d4a

My strategy was to migrate first the critical parts of the app, and continue using the dynamic data asp.net for the others parts.

Dynamic Data Applications are great when you are a developer and you need to access the data in a effort less way, but it isn't too user friendly, you will have that spend too much effort trying to convert it in a user friendly interface, for the mortal users.

My conclusion is that migration from Dynamic Data Application to Lightswitch have some work but it worth!

Hope this helps!

• Marked as answer by KENOGBEB Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:40 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:39 PM