Error when exporting large list to Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list (4634 items) with 70 columns and when I try to export to Excel, it processes for a while and eventually comes back with "An unexpected error has occurred. Changes to your data cannot be saved" - NOTE: this is when I am using the "AllItems" view

Exporting smaller views works just fine

I checked ULS logs and Event Viewer on SP server, nothing out of the ordinary

I monitored processor/memory utilization on both my laptop and SP server - nothing out of the ordinary

I am out of ideas....help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Monday, September 23, 2013 8:05 PM

Answers

• 4GB of RAM is the minimum I would consider running a personal dev site at.  For production, no less than 8GB.  That is also Microsoft's recommendations.  See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485(v=office.14).aspx

I've done a lot of test/demo builds with 4GB of RAM and it seems like a crap shoot if the install is even successful.  It also seems much less reliable with 4GB and this is just for testing or demos.  Adding the RAM may not fix this problem but it would likely save you a lot of other headaches down the road.

Brian

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Could you try with powershell?

http://porchcode.blogspot.in/2013/04/exporting-sharepoint-list-items-to-csv.html

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:32 AM
  • It works with PowerShell. But this is not a feasible solution for end users.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Bump.

Could it be server memory? Our one and only production server has 4GB of RAM.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:00 PM
  • Yes, this might be the cause. because if network connection is slow or issue with system memory usage then you might face such kind of problem.

To know more about, could you check the LOGS and event viewer.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Yes, this might be the cause. because if network connection is slow or issue with system memory usage then you might face such kind of problem.

To know more about, could you check the LOGS and event viewer.

Not sure if you read my initial post, but I did mention I checked the LOGS and Event Viewer. I will try adding another 4GB to RAM and see if that works. The list is is well beyond its recommended thresholds, however. (7000+ items with 70 columns)
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:04 PM
  • 4GB of RAM is the minimum I would consider running a personal dev site at.  For production, no less than 8GB.  That is also Microsoft's recommendations.  See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485(v=office.14).aspx

I've done a lot of test/demo builds with 4GB of RAM and it seems like a crap shoot if the install is even successful.  It also seems much less reliable with 4GB and this is just for testing or demos.  Adding the RAM may not fix this problem but it would likely save you a lot of other headaches down the road.

Brian

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:41 PM