none
HELP!!! The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I really hope someone can help me out here...

The JET Drivers on my machine has just flipped out after installing Microsofts Web Application Stress Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e2c0585a-062a-439e-a67d-75a89aa36495&displaylang=en) and asp.net can no longer connect to any access DB's...

I found that after installing the Web App Stress tool, there where some JET 3.5 dll's on machine, I uninstalled the application and made sure all the 3.5 files were removed..... This didn't help...

I have also tried a system restore - but was told there was nothing to restore..

I have also checked the dlls are all registered Under the MS Jet 4.0 heading in this resource http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278604 This didn't help either!

This has happened on my laptop running win xp sp2, i have found loads of references to reinstalling MDAC 2.81 but it fails ever time saying it can't copy the files!

I've also tried repairing ms office to no avail..

Upon reading all other threads related to this error, I noticed it's other caused because of bad connection strings so here's mine: Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\TheDBthatIwantToConnectTo.mdb.

Please anyone, help - I'm going out of my mind, lost 2 days, have a banging headace and I need to deliver a project asap...

Thanks in Advance....
    Monday, December 3, 2007 5:04 PM

All replies

• Ok, I've been doing some more digging and this is really strange...

I can currenty preview data through th eVS 2005 dataset viewer, which is supposivly using Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 as well, so just to check I ran the following command "regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjetoledb40.dll /u" and tried previewing data again in VS 2005.... This then failed with the error "The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine."... So ran the following command "regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjetoledb40.dll" and the previewing of data started to work again...

But I still recieve the error "The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine." when running the code through IIS....

Can anyone help me with this?? Someone from MS maybe considering it was thier stupid app which put me in this situation????
    Monday, December 3, 2007 5:46 PM
  • As this is working for everything but within IIS I thought running a Aspnet_regiis.exe -i might sort it out in case it was the IIS Meta Base which was screwed, but alas no....

Problem persists....
    Monday, December 3, 2007 5:53 PM
  • I would suspect there is a permissions problem. The account under which your IIS application is running probably cannot see the provider and that is why the error is being generated.

You may have to identify which account that is before proceeding. It would help if you could identify which level of authentication you are using and whether or not impersonation is enabled for your web application.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:32 PM