none
ActiveSync protocol to read Exchange mailbox details?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to develop a client program (which will run on a desktop machine/not on a smartphone) that talks to Exchange Server using ActiveSync protocol to read arbitrary mailbox on that Exchange server and get e-mail statistics of a mailbox e.g. Total Number of emails in the mailbox etc.

I do not intend to use ActiveSync for real synchronization but just to get the number of emails in an Exchange mailbox.

I am bit confused can this be achieved? Because, I did not find any direct command for this purpose in ActiveSync commands.

Does any activesync command returns the total number of mails in a specified mailbox?

Thanks In Advance,

Regards,

Anuya

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:23 AM

Answers

• Anuya,

Exchange ActiveSync was not really designed for the Desktop, only for Mobile devices. Hence, there is no
    efficient way to perform such an action. You could use the 'GetItemEstimate' command as described in
    Section 2.2.2.7 of [MS-ASCMD] during an initial sync of a particular folder. However, this is only an estimate
    and may not be the exact value. Or you could fully sync a particular folder to get the total number of items.

I would recommend using Exchange Web Services to perform the action you are trying to accomplish. When using
    EWS, you could read the 'TotalCount' property of a given folder to get the total number of items in each particular
    folder.

I hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by King Salemno Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by King Salemno Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:50 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:50 PM

All replies

• Hi, Anuya,

Thanks for your question.  One of our team member will work on this and respond to you soon.

Hongwei Sun -MSFT
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Anuya,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your issue. I am currently investigating this and will update you as things progress.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:28 PM
  • Hello King,

Thanks a lot. I am waiting for your reply.

Regards,

Anuya

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Anuya,

Exchange ActiveSync was not really designed for the Desktop, only for Mobile devices. Hence, there is no
    efficient way to perform such an action. You could use the 'GetItemEstimate' command as described in
    Section 2.2.2.7 of [MS-ASCMD] during an initial sync of a particular folder. However, this is only an estimate
    and may not be the exact value. Or you could fully sync a particular folder to get the total number of items.

I would recommend using Exchange Web Services to perform the action you are trying to accomplish. When using
    EWS, you could read the 'TotalCount' property of a given folder to get the total number of items in each particular
    folder.

I hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by King Salemno Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by King Salemno Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:50 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:50 PM