December CTP Installation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    When I try to install the December CTP Data Tier, the installation fails, indicating that Reporting Services is installed on the Data Tier. It says to remove it and install it on the Application Tier. This seems to contradict the installation instructions I have. Is this what I should do and if so how do I indicate in the SQL Server 2005 installation that I want Reporting Services installed on another server? Any help would be appreciated.
    Gary

Monday, December 5, 2005 8:08 PM

Answers

• Yes, for December CTP Install,

In a Dual Server Deployment, Sql Reporting Services should only be installed on the Application Tier Machine. Run SQL Server setup to install SQL Reporting Service. (It should run as Network Service)

On the Data Tier Machine, If you already have SQL server installed please uninstall Reporting Services by running the SQL server setup again. The Setup will go into mantainance mode and you will get a chance to remove Reporting Services. (If it is a fresh SQL Install, ensure that you DO NOT select to install SQL Reporting Services.)

Rajesh

Monday, December 5, 2005 10:49 PM

All replies

• Yes, for December CTP Install,

In a Dual Server Deployment, Sql Reporting Services should only be installed on the Application Tier Machine. Run SQL Server setup to install SQL Reporting Service. (It should run as Network Service)

On the Data Tier Machine, If you already have SQL server installed please uninstall Reporting Services by running the SQL server setup again. The Setup will go into mantainance mode and you will get a chance to remove Reporting Services. (If it is a fresh SQL Install, ensure that you DO NOT select to install SQL Reporting Services.)

Rajesh

Monday, December 5, 2005 10:49 PM
  • Sorry that you ran into this issue.  There are some more steps you'll now have to take to correct the Report Server installation:

Make sure that before you uninstall Report Server to backup the Report Server encryption key. 
    You can use rskeymgmt.exe command line tool to do this.  One backed up, remove this instance of report server using rskeymgmt.exe -r.

You need to do this because report server (standard edition) does not support web farm, and only supports a single instance of report server being connected to the SQL catalog.

If AT setup fails (running the createds.exe custom action) DO NOT CLICK cancel.  Leave the dialog, and go to a command prompt and run rskeymgmt.exe on the AT to restore the encryption key backup you made from the RS installation that was made on the DT. Check that you can access http://myserver/reports too. If you can, then click on retry on the AT setup error dialog, and everything *should* be good.

Please let me know if this works.

I'll let our doc writers now about this issue.

Thanks,
    Tuesday, December 6, 2005 6:43 AM
  • I'll probably just reimage the server and reload SQL Server 2005 without Reporting Services, then load it on the other server.

Tuesday, December 6, 2005 3:37 PM