Displaying responses while user responds RRS feed

• Question

• We need to show a user's responses to a form while the user is answering the questions. We have a lot of branching, so having the entire form on one page isn't an option. Therefore, as a user progresses between questions, we want to have an area of the display showing, for example, question 1 and the user's response, question2 and the response, etc. Is this possible with InfoPath?
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:48 AM

Answers

• Sorry the question wasn't more clear. More precisely, can I display a running list of respondents' answers WHILE they are answering the form, without custom programming? For example, can the form coexist with another Webpart that is displaying a user's answers, say to the right of where the questions/responses for the next question reside? In other words, rather than having a user complete a form to review responses, show the historical responses concurrent with the questions.

I think I'm still not clear.  Are you talking about reviewing responses from OTHER people?  Why would a user complete a form to review responses?  You initially asked if the user could see his/her own responses while responding, which is nothing more than showing the Qs and As to them on each view, but now it sounds like you're talking about responses from other users.  I'm still not sure.  The reason I'm not sure is because if people can see and fill out questions, then you of course can show those same questions and answers back to them...it's all the same stuff.  The problem is each view will get bigger and bigger due to showing all the questions, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the separate views, right?  I can't think of a way to show the same form in another web part while making it continually refresh, but if I could get it to refresh, then I would have a custom view with a section that contains each Q and its relevant A.  I'd then add conditional formatting to each section causing it to be hidden unless the A was not empty.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:06 PM
  • Hi BeYourOwnGeek,

If you are talking about the using InfoPath Form to collect data ,then it can be achieved by adding sections on every view of the form .Then add format rules to hide or show the section based on the answer is empty or not .

1.       Add a question in a section on every view of the form .

2.       Then on the page which you want to show the responses ,you can add all the sections including controls  to the view .

3.       Add format rules on each of the sections .Set the condition as if the control in the section is blank .Then hide this section .

4.       In this way ,the questions which the user responses can be shown on the page .Other not answered questions within the section  will be hidden .

If I have any misunderstanding ,please feel free to point it out .

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:22 AM

All replies

• Is it possible?  You can show whatever you want.  The form is your canvas - paint it however you please.  It's possible that I do not understand your question, because asking if it's possible does not seem to be the question you would be asking.  I expected you to ask HOW to do it.  Is there something special about your requirement that makes you think it's not possible?  I'm asking only because I am confused by the question.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:28 AM
  • Sorry the question wasn't more clear. More precisely, can I display a running list of respondents' answers WHILE they are answering the form, without custom programming? For example, can the form coexist with another Webpart that is displaying a user's answers, say to the right of where the questions/responses for the next question reside? In other words, rather than having a user complete a form to review responses, show the historical responses concurrent with the questions.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:43 AM

I think I'm still not clear.  Are you talking about reviewing responses from OTHER people?  Why would a user complete a form to review responses?  You initially asked if the user could see his/her own responses while responding, which is nothing more than showing the Qs and As to them on each view, but now it sounds like you're talking about responses from other users.  I'm still not sure.  The reason I'm not sure is because if people can see and fill out questions, then you of course can show those same questions and answers back to them...it's all the same stuff.  The problem is each view will get bigger and bigger due to showing all the questions, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the separate views, right?  I can't think of a way to show the same form in another web part while making it continually refresh, but if I could get it to refresh, then I would have a custom view with a section that contains each Q and its relevant A.  I'd then add conditional formatting to each section causing it to be hidden unless the A was not empty.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:06 PM
  • Hi BeYourOwnGeek,

If you are talking about the using InfoPath Form to collect data ,then it can be achieved by adding sections on every view of the form .Then add format rules to hide or show the section based on the answer is empty or not .

1.       Add a question in a section on every view of the form .

2.       Then on the page which you want to show the responses ,you can add all the sections including controls  to the view .

3.       Add format rules on each of the sections .Set the condition as if the control in the section is blank .Then hide this section .

4.       In this way ,the questions which the user responses can be shown on the page .Other not answered questions within the section  will be hidden .

If I have any misunderstanding ,please feel free to point it out .

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:22 AM