none
MySQL In App (preview) won't allow connections

Question

• I have an App Service running Wordpress with MySQL In App (preview) for the database.  It's been running fine for a few weeks, until suddenly tonight I got an alert that my site was returning errors.  When I connect, I get "Error establishing a database connection."  Resource Explorer shows mysqld running.  When I try to Manage MySQL, I get "Cannot connect: invalid settings" from phpMyAdmin (launched from portal).

I noticed that the environment variable MYSQLCONNSTR_localdb isn't there, though the .txt file is in data\mssql and it looks correct.  When I turn on PHP debug, I get "Warning: mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/1862): Your password has expired. To log in you must change it using a client that supports expired passwords."  Since I've never touched this instance directly, there's no reason it should have changed.  I don't override anything with configuration.

I tried connecting using mysql.exe from the Console, but it just says "Can't connect to MySQL server on localhost."

What else can I possibly try, and what would have changed for this all of a sudden? I'm at my wit's end, and meanwhile my site is down.

-- Arian T. Kulp | http://www.ariankulp.com Please remember to mark as helpful, or mark as answer if this helps you!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 7:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have the same problem.

Checked process explorer as instructed by this post https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/appserviceteam/2016/09/08/troubleshooting-faq-for-mysql-in-apppreview/ and saw that the process mysqld is not running

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Same issue here. mysqld is running just fine, no issues with that. Tried several ways of fixing this: 

- phpMyAdmin is unusable since it cannot connect either.
    - via Kudu console, mysql and mysqladmin don't allow connecting with an expired password. The --connect-expired-password flag seems unsupported with the version installed.
    - enabled / disabled the service, doesn't change a thing
    - restarted the instance 

It seems without a way to actually get into the mysql instance there's no way to fix it. I quickly got a back-up of my site running on another instance and swapped DNS as a temporary fix to get things online again. 

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:03 AM
  • I have the exact same issue. I can see the mysqld process startup with the w3wp process. I've tried restarting the web app but that doesn't help.

In the MySQL logs I can see the exact same message :

Your password has expired. To log in you must change it using a client that supports expired passwords.

The site was working like a charm up until now.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Same issue in two website. (Wordpress + MySQL in-app).

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Same issue in two websites running MySQL in-app.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Update: now the mysqld process is running but still no connection
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Same here, tried resetting through mysqladmin.exe in Kudu too, but that doesn't help either.

SharePoint MVP. Platform architect. Speaker. Trainer. Involuntary DBA. @ http://thomasvochten.com

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Even i am facing the same problem. Database connectivity in not happening via phpmyadmin and all db related applications are crashing.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Add this configuration in your application settings: WEBSITE_MYSQL_ARGUMENTS = --default_password_lifetime=0
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:33 AM
  • This seems to work.

Elio Struyf
    http://www.eliostruyf.com

• Proposed as answer by Elio StruyfMVP Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Elio StruyfMVP Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:48 AM
  • It Works!

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:48 AM
  • That fixed it for me. Great, thanks!

SharePoint MVP. Platform architect. Speaker. Trainer. Involuntary DBA. @ http://thomasvochten.com

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:50 AM
  • It Works, 

Thanks a ton !

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 10:30 AM
  • Can you share a screenshot?
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 10:50 AM
  • Same issue in two website. (Wordpress + MySQL in-app).

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 11:10 AM
  • Add this configuration in your application settings: WEBSITE_MYSQL_ARGUMENTS = --default_password_lifetime=0
    Also had this problem, the solution above fixed it. Thanks
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 1:40 PM
  • This worked for me. Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:08 PM

Can you please specify where exactly this will go? I am running a web application on Fuel PHP.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:14 PM
  • Login into Azure Portal and browse to your App Service. Now click on Application Settings under Settings section. Add a key value pair WEBSITE_MYSQL_ARGUMENTS = --default_password_lifetime=0 under App Settings section.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:21 PM
  • Nice one thanks! It Works!!
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:24 PM
  • Do you add it as a Type of MySQL?

Also do I need the == and -- 

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:38 PM
  • Thank you very much for this post! Do we know what caused this to break?
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:49 PM
  • We are investigating and will follow up on this forum thread with our findings.

David

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 4:08 PM
  • This works.  Why oh why was this needed all of a sudden?  Is this related to it being in preview?  You guys really need to let users know of changes like this!

-- Arian T. Kulp | http://www.ariankulp.com Please remember to mark as helpful, or mark as answer if this helps you!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 4:21 PM
  • It is not intentional as of preview.  It was simply an overlook of the password policy of MySql when we initialize MySql database.  We are working toward deploying a fix.  In the meantime, do use a workaround mention above.

AppSettings:   WEBSITE_MYSQL_ARGUMENTS = --default_password_lifetime=0

Will update when the fix is ready and roll out.

Suwatch

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Column One: WEBSITE_MYSQL_ARGUMENTS

Column Two: --default_password_lifetime=0

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 6:14 PM
  • That worked perfectly! Thank you :)
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 6:54 PM
  • Where to add it?
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 7:01 PM
  • To update, we are in the process of deploying a global fix for this.  Will update in a few hours once deployment is done.

Suwatch

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 7:12 PM
  • Appreciate the patience.   The fix was deployed worldwide.  

1. If you had put the appSettings (WEBSITE_MYSQL_ARGUMENTYS) workaround, feel free to remove it.

2. If you just run into the issue for the first, simply go to the Portal (https://portal.azure.com/) and restart your site.

Let us know if still issue.

Suwatch

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Yes, this fixed it. Thanks.
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:00 PM
  • Hi, the problem is not fixed in my webapp and if I set the appSettings, it is not saved to the settings after reloading the settings page.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:29 PM
  • I am seeing the same issue... Site restarted, but now luck. If I add the app settings recommendation from above, the key:value isn't saved upon reloading the page. Note that no error is returned when I save the key:value.

Saturday, October 29, 2016 1:28 AM
  • Ok... Might just be a stupid user (me)... It suddenly started working and not entirely sure why... I turned on the "MySQL General Log" in the MySQL In App (Preview) page and *poof*, everything was fine.
    Saturday, October 29, 2016 1:37 AM