Problems with start screen in windows8

Question

• I was just about ready ti start using my computer when I realized that the start screen showed was "empty". At the same time, nither Windows update nor my DVD worked. I installed "blue poison", so I saed myself the trouble or getting around through the search application but the other problems still remain. The problema with the DVD seems related to the pci to pci bridge. I guess that when more drivers become available this problema will solve by itself (in the mean time no way to install offic 15 as promised n the blue poison app) but without Windows update working this is going to be a problem
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:13 PM

Answers

• Your problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action.
    The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve your error message.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still get the same issue.

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:59 PM
  • hi there,

if you have a win7 installation on the same hardware, extract the drivers with DrvBK (search it on sourceforge).

it will get all non oem drivers on your win7 installation and you will be able to point Win8 to that extraction folder in order to get all hardware working fine.

another solution is to use www.ma-config.com which installs an activeX and points you to the very exact download (without paying or creating accounts) for every hardware found on your machine...give it a try it is a pretty easy and handy solution for unknown hardware/drivers.

keep us posted,

Best regards,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 3:42 PM

All replies

• Your problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action.
    The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve your error message.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still get the same issue.

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Thank you for your kind answer. It did work and now I have the apps back. The only problema that still remains is that of the pci to pci bridge driver that makes the DVD almost useless. Thank you
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:56 PM
  • hi there,

if you have a win7 installation on the same hardware, extract the drivers with DrvBK (search it on sourceforge).

it will get all non oem drivers on your win7 installation and you will be able to point Win8 to that extraction folder in order to get all hardware working fine.

another solution is to use www.ma-config.com which installs an activeX and points you to the very exact download (without paying or creating accounts) for every hardware found on your machine...give it a try it is a pretty easy and handy solution for unknown hardware/drivers.

keep us posted,

Best regards,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 3:42 PM