Raw Print Example not printing to directly to docuprint printer RRS feed

• Question

•  

I did some research and I found an article on printing raw directly to a printer using the Microsoft KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322090.

Background Info...
    We have Xerox DocuPrint postscript printers that are managed by sun microsystems print servers. I am trying to print to these printers directly without the need for a microsoft print server and I am doing the development in vb.net.

Problem...
    Here is what I can do...
    I can send a postscript document to a microsoft print server where there are drivers setup for the docuprint printers. When I print like this the postscript document is sent to the printer and put in a queue and then prints correctly.

Here is what I can't do...
    When I try to print directly to the printer the OpenPrinter() function returns a win32 error 1801 "Invalid Printer Name". I have tried the printer name (\\ipaddress\printername), printer queue name (\\ipaddress\printerqueuename), just the IP address (\\ipaddress). I have made sure the letter case is correct in the names etc... I am running out of ideas and i'm at my wit's end. I could rely on a print server if I have to but it would be nice to send these documents directly to the printers and let the sun microsystems print servers handle it.

Thanks
    John
    Monday, December 10, 2007 3:31 PM

All replies