none
Symbol Barcode Runtime Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a barcode program on Motorola/Symbol device MC9090. I am using Visual Studio 2008, .NET compact framework 3.5, Symbol 1.6.1.1 and symbol.barcode 1.6.1.1. Its working fine on MC9090 model.

but I am getting a runtime error when I try to enable the barcode on Motorola MC9190 model.

Code
    ----------------------------------
      this.MyReader = new Symbol.Barcode.Reader();
    // Create reader data
    this.MyReaderData = new Symbol.Barcode.ReaderData(ReaderDataTypes.Text, ReaderDataLengths.MaximumLabel);

// Enable reader, with wait cursor
    this.MyReader.Actions.Enable();  ---- Error here...

The following is runtime exception
      at Symbol.Marshaller.SymbolMarshal.UnmarshalStructInfoFrom(IntPtr pPtr, Int32 nOffset, Int32 nAllocated, Int32 nUsed)
       at Symbol.Barcode.AccessUPCEANParams.UnmarshalFrom(IntPtr pPtr, Int32 nOffset)
       at Symbol.Barcode.BarcodeMarshal.GetUPCEANParameters(AccessUPCEANParams clsUPCEANParams)
       at Symbol.Barcode.UPCEANParamsAPI.GetParameters()
       at Symbol.Barcode.UPCEANParamsAPI..ctor(Reader clsReader)
       at Symbol.Barcode.Actions.Enable()

I would appreciated any help on this.....

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Sudhir -

I worked in Symbol some times back, and let me try to help you on this. The issue seems to be more related to library you are using to develop the application. I assume you are using EMDK for .Net. you may have to check the version that is recommended for MC9190.

A little background to help understanding the situation - MC9090 is an older device and started with CE5, and again the scan engine(barcode scanner) used may be different from MC9190. MC9190 is a newer model available with CE6, WM 6.5. So though you expect the class to take care of initializing the underlying scan engine or scanner, it might work that way if you are using the latest EMDK. But again, it may not work straight away due to lot of constraints like proper identification of config(MC9090 vs MC9190, CE vs WM).

Hence be advised to check the EMDK version you are using and does it support configurations(check release notes).

You can always get in touch with Symbol guys or the development materials like latest EMDK(used to be called SMDK :) earlier) through this link

support.symbol.com (earstwhile devzone).

- Chandra

Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:11 AM
  • You didn't tell us what the exception is, you only show the stack dump.   Even if you showed the exception, I suspect that this forum isn't going to have answers.   I think that you might need to reach out to Motorola for assistance with their APIs.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:45 PM

All replies

• You didn't tell us what the exception is, you only show the stack dump.   Even if you showed the exception, I suspect that this forum isn't going to have answers.   I think that you might need to reach out to Motorola for assistance with their APIs.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Hi Sudhir -

I worked in Symbol some times back, and let me try to help you on this. The issue seems to be more related to library you are using to develop the application. I assume you are using EMDK for .Net. you may have to check the version that is recommended for MC9190.

A little background to help understanding the situation - MC9090 is an older device and started with CE5, and again the scan engine(barcode scanner) used may be different from MC9190. MC9190 is a newer model available with CE6, WM 6.5. So though you expect the class to take care of initializing the underlying scan engine or scanner, it might work that way if you are using the latest EMDK. But again, it may not work straight away due to lot of constraints like proper identification of config(MC9090 vs MC9190, CE vs WM).

Hence be advised to check the EMDK version you are using and does it support configurations(check release notes).

You can always get in touch with Symbol guys or the development materials like latest EMDK(used to be called SMDK :) earlier) through this link

support.symbol.com (earstwhile devzone).

- Chandra

Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Thanks Chandra.

I have done R&D on that and assume the issues with Symbol.dll and Symbol.barcode.dll version. I am trying to get latest DLLs and try to test with new DLLs.

I was checking I'm on track or not.

Thanks for your time and valuable comments on my issues.

- Sudhir

Friday, May 3, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Thanks Bruce for your time.
    Friday, May 3, 2013 11:51 AM