Metro apps no longer working. Now launching store instead

Question

• So, I'm at the windows 8 start experience. I press on an app, say "Piano". Instantly, the Store Splash Screen (orange screen that says "store", with the bag on it) comes up, followed quickly by "Coming soon" "Windows Store isn't available in Windows Developer Preview" Also, if I'm quick, I can [alt]+[tab] and find the piano splash screen (that just says "piano on it"), but it doesn't last long before it crashes.

This happened on a coworker's slate too, and he reinstalled, but then he lost the AT&T app, so that doesn't seem like the best route. What can I do to get my apps back?

McKay Salisbury
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 4:05 AM

Answers

• Your problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action.
    The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve the apps not working issue.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

ClickControl Panel

ClickGeneral on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still get the error.

Please let us know.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hello McKaySalisbury,

There are a few reasons that we know why you can't open Metro Apps.
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024 x 768
    2) You have turned off User Account Control.
    3) Your download of the operating system is corrupt. This error may be caused by a bad burn of the ISO.

Your options are:
    Reinstall the operating system by downloading and reburning a new ISO.
    Doing a refresh of your PC. (If this doesn't work, there could be a problem with the ISO as stated above)

If you lose your AT&T app, look at the thread by Tripp Parks.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/samsungpcgeneral/thread/5bb8c6f3-fbd5-4c72-92ee-eb7619b23ef1

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 7:25 PM
  • So, I'm at the windows 8 start experience. I press on an app, say "Piano". Instantly, the Store Splash Screen (orange screen that says "store", with the bag on it) comes up, followed quickly by "Coming soon" "Windows Store isn't available in Windows Developer Preview" Also, if I'm quick, I can [alt]+[tab] and find the piano splash screen (that just says "piano on it"), but it doesn't last long before it crashes.

This happened on a coworker's slate too, and he reinstalled, but then he lost the AT&T app, so that doesn't seem like the best route. What can I do to get my apps back?

McKay Salisbury
    I have this same issue. Also my keyboard mode switch button is gone and if I click that box it just turns white.
    Monday, November 07, 2011 3:49 AM
  • Hello McKaySalisbury,

There are a few reasons that we know why you can't open Metro Apps.
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024 x 768
    2) You have turned off User Account Control.
    3) Your download of the operating system is corrupt. This error may be caused by a bad burn of the ISO.

Your options are:
    Reinstall the operating system by downloading and reburning a new ISO.
    Doing a refresh of your PC. (If this doesn't work, there could be a problem with the ISO as stated above)

If you lose your AT&T app, look at the thread by Tripp Parks.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/samsungpcgeneral/thread/5bb8c6f3-fbd5-4c72-92ee-eb7619b23ef1

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    So, I'm using the Windows 8 Developer Preview Hardware. I didn't download the Operating System. I'm just using the version of the Operating System that it came with. I haven't changed any settings really.

McKay Salisbury
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Your problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action.
    The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve the apps not working issue.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

ClickControl Panel

ClickGeneral on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still get the error.

Please let us know.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 7:19 PM
  • I press on an app, say "Piano". Instantly, the Store Splash Screen (orange screen that says "store", with the bag on it) comes up

Have you tried recalibrating?    Hmm... evidently we should be thinking of that procedure only as Calibrat  Touch  (Win-W cal tou)

Also try launching by another method, say the Search pane.   Alternatively, try removing Store and then see if your symptoms change?...   Oh.  We can't remove Store but we can Unpin it?...   Same difference as far as my diagnostic idea goes.   It would be gone.   ; )

So now that I don't have a tile for Store any more, what would I do to get it back?...  Ah!   Search Apps,  Sto    Right-click Pin.   Who needs an unusable tile taking up valuable screen space, especially on the first page?   Thanks for making me find this!

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 7:33 PM
  • It is not a calibration issue. It happens with all of my metro apps, and the calibration works fine. Even when the store isn't on the screen (I have already unpinned it, as it is quite worthless at the moment). I will try a refresh this evening.
    McKay Salisbury
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:58 PM
  • A refresh worked. My apps are now working again. That makes me wonder if it is Visual Studio Ultimate that was causing the issues? Or maybe when I uninstalled Visual Studio express? In any case, I think express is good enough, so I'm good now.
    McKay Salisbury
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:51 PM