How to Customize XsltListViewWebPart ? RRS feed

• Question

• I added a Data View web part in a page using sharepoint 2010 designer .. it showed up as "XsltListViewWebPart".. I want to edit the xslt of the web part... to view the xslt I clicked the "Customize XSLT" (Customize Entire View) option in Design Tab of the designer. I edited the xslt and checked in the page but when I check for changes in the browser it did not show aany changes.... the XsltListViewWebPart just converted back in orginal form as it was added before customizing the web part.

XsltListViewWebPart is letting me change its xslt. Can I customize the xslt of XsltListViewWebPart ???

Friday, October 8, 2010 12:35 PM

Answers

• I've seen that reversion behavior in the "Customize XSL" button, as well.  It limits the usefulness of that button, doesn't it?

To customize the XSL and have it stick, do the following:

1. Click the "Advanced Mode" button.

2. In the designer window, click on the part of the output you want to change, and make any change to it.  (I typically turn bold on and off.)

SharePoint Designer will work for a little while.  Then it will load the appropriate XSL templates into the code window, and you can happily edit away.

Note that it only loads the templates that it needs for whatever change you had made.  So if you change the wrong part of the output, then the XSL template you really want to change may not show up.

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, October 15, 2010 1:31 AM
    Friday, October 8, 2010 1:03 PM