Force Selection of New from List of Content Types Only RRS feed

• Question

• The New button in the menu bar for a list will automatically create the number 1 Content Type entry. I would like to disable this and have only the drop down menu in New work which forces the selection of the New entry from Content Types (i.e. I do not want to have a default). Is this possible? How?
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Ronko01,

Do you want hide the default content type and display the content types you need in the drop down list of the New button?

If so, please go to the List/Document Library > Click Settings > List/Document Library Settings > Click Change new button order and default content type under Content Types part > Uncheck the default content type and select the content type you want > Click OK.

And you can also change the order of these content types.

Let me know if I misunderstand you, thanks.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:11 AM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:03 AM
  • Hi Ronko,

Do you want to create a new item by clicking New button with the content type you set to Number one?

If so, please just follow the step I mentioned in my first post.
    1. In Change New Button Order and Default Content Type page, uncheck the default content type(do not select it to visible). For a custom list, the default content type is Item and for a document library, the default content type is New document.
    2. Change order of the content types, select 1 to the content type you want set it as the default content type. (If you set it to 1 and the content type is visible, you can create a new item with this content type default by clicking New button).

Best regards,
    Emir

Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Ronko01,

Do you want hide the default content type and display the content types you need in the drop down list of the New button?

If so, please go to the List/Document Library > Click Settings > List/Document Library Settings > Click Change new button order and default content type under Content Types part > Uncheck the default content type and select the content type you want > Click OK.

And you can also change the order of these content types.

Let me know if I misunderstand you, thanks.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:43 PM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:03 AM
  • Thanks Emir,

Let me further clarify.  The settings you refer to changing, allow you to change which Content Type is the default.  I do not want a default.  I want the user to have to select one of the Content Types which the down arrow next to the New button allows, but directly clicking on the New button, always creates a new item and it is of the what ever Content Type is in the number one order of the Content Types for the list.

I don't see how to uncheck the default.  It seems to always need a default.

Thanks for your help.

Ronko

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Hi Ronko,

Do you want to create a new item by clicking New button with the content type you set to Number one?

If so, please just follow the step I mentioned in my first post.
    1. In Change New Button Order and Default Content Type page, uncheck the default content type(do not select it to visible). For a custom list, the default content type is Item and for a document library, the default content type is New document.
    2. Change order of the content types, select 1 to the content type you want set it as the default content type. (If you set it to 1 and the content type is visible, you can create a new item with this content type default by clicking New button).

Best regards,
    Emir

Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:03 PM
  • That is not the correct answer. The user does not want a default content type.

When you click new in sharepoint it will use the default content type. The user wants the new button to act like the drop down arrow and presnet a selction of all visable content types forcing the user to make a selection from the choices presented.

The question was not answered. I am seeking the same solution.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Hi,

Did you find any answer for this? I need to implement same and not finding any solution for 2010.

Help needed!

Monday, September 7, 2015 11:21 AM
  • Hi,

Did you find any answer for this? I need to implement same and not finding any solution for 2010.

Help needed!

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 8:23 AM