none
Change of behavior of the ROT RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I need an advice.

I need to get all instances of Word application from the ROT, and I do this as shown here:  http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2013/12/accessing-com-applications-from-the-running-object-table.html

I always work with latest available version of Office, and as far as I can see, this approach worked well until January 2018. Now, if I run N instances with different files, I'll get N instances with the same file. 

A comment to post by the link contains a workaround to get all the files in a different way (users experienced similar trouble with Access), but I'm wondering whether it's necessary to wait for the same behavior from Excel and Powerpoint applications and edit the project. Or maybe I should report this change of behavior somewhere? I did not found a way to make it. 

Friday, February 2, 2018 12:47 PM

Answers

• Hi jnau,

Thanks for sharing the information. I make a test and I could get the same result.

>> but I'm wondering whether it's necessary to wait for the same behavior from Excel and Powerpoint applications and edit the project.

Did this workaround work for previous Office Version? If it did, I would suggest you change your code to use this workaround.

It is an issue related with using ROT to get Office Application Instance, I am afraid the Office Developer team would not care this behavior since that there is no error with the Office Application. It is related with the way to get Office instances. Or, maybe we could say this is a bug in the ROT which could not get the Office Instance correctly. It may be related with Windows API which is used in ROT.

Anyway, I would suggest you check whether the workaround could work for current available Office Version.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by jnau Friday, February 9, 2018 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi jnau,

You had mentioned that it was working fine until Jan / 2018.

Most possible reason can be the latest updates regarding Office or Windows.

It is possible that latest update have some issue in it that cause this issue.

If possible for you then you can try to remove the latest update and move to last working update.

Then you can try to run and test your code again.

If it work properly then temporarily you can stay on that update and when new update get launched then you can move to that new update and we hope , In a new update issue will resolved.

You can provide your feedback on a Word User Voice regarding this issue.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 5, 2018 2:14 AM
  • Hi jnau,

>> A comment to post by the link contains a workaround to get all the files in a different way (users experienced similar trouble with Access),

Thanks for sharing the workaround,

>> if I run N instances with different files, I'll get N instances with the same file.

Could you share us a simple project, Office version, and detail steps to reproduce your issue? We will try to make a test per to your description.

Before next update coming, I think you need to keep using the work around to go with your work.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:05 AM
  • Hello Tao Zhou,

Thank you for your reply. 

My Word version is 16.0.9001.2080, Russian locale.

Here is a simple sample c# project: https://github.com/j-naumova/ROTTest/tree/master/ROTTest

There is a screenshot of my results in project folder.

Steps:

1. Create two Word instances with different files; it is important to have several instances, if you have one, all is working well, but it doesn't fit my needs; 

2. Get instances as shown by the link I provided — http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2013/12/accessing-com-applications-from-the-running-object-table.html

3. Get documents from each instance, send their full names to console.

Result: there are two same paths. 

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:52 PM
  • Hello Deepak,

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately, we cannot stick to previous version. I will report this to User Voice, thank you for the link.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:57 PM
  • Hi jnau,

Thanks for sharing the information. I make a test and I could get the same result.

>> but I'm wondering whether it's necessary to wait for the same behavior from Excel and Powerpoint applications and edit the project.

Did this workaround work for previous Office Version? If it did, I would suggest you change your code to use this workaround.

It is an issue related with using ROT to get Office Application Instance, I am afraid the Office Developer team would not care this behavior since that there is no error with the Office Application. It is related with the way to get Office instances. Or, maybe we could say this is a bug in the ROT which could not get the Office Instance correctly. It may be related with Windows API which is used in ROT.

Anyway, I would suggest you check whether the workaround could work for current available Office Version.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by jnau Friday, February 9, 2018 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:46 AM