What's the deal with USB sync and Windows Phone 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

A couple of weeks ago I bought an HTC Titan for my wife. It is an awesome phone that really makes  Windows phone 7 really shine. I loved it and my son, who uses a Nexus S and is a die hard Googlehead, declared the new phone to beat.

You cannot imagine how disappointed I was to discover the Rube Goldberg steps required to do a simple USB sync with Outlook. Although I love the hardware and the OS, for me not being able to sync my contacts, calendar and tasks with my PC is a deal breaker. I find it incredibly self destructive for Microsoft to essentially force literally hundred of millions of Outlook users to buy an iPhone or an Android phone. The people at Google and Apple must be ecstatic with joy.

I can only assume that the people at the Windows Phone 7 development responsible for this decision must be Google or Apple shareholders. It is the only way this decision makes sense.

Or maybe they are planning to sell USB sync with Outlook as an app and charge for it. I hope this is the answer.

Kindest regards,

Joe

Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:30 PM

All replies

• There is a way to sync Windows Phone with Outlook without going through the public cloud.

Akruto Sync is a desktop application that synchronizes contacts and calendar between Outlook and Windows Phone.  It is done over the air, not USB, but it does not require Windows Live or Gmail, or any other cloud service.  The data goes directly between the phone and PC.  Give it a try at http://www.akruto.com

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:36 PM