Distributing an app on windows 8 tablets locally RRS feed

• Question

• I have been thinking about getting a tablet application made for use in my business, I wish to have a Metro Style app built for a Windows tablet and then use it on a handful of tablets inside a business only. However I have been told that the only way to distribute Windows 8 applications is through the Windows Store, with a Windows Store developer account and an annual registration fee as mentioned here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/hh694064

However I have also been told you can share apps locally with the method mentioned here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh975356%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Because I am getting conflicting information I am somewhat confused. Is it possible to both create and use a Windows 8 tablet application in a handful of tablets inside my business only, without any cost involving the Windows store? Or is the windows store usage and the annual fee compulsary even for applications that will not be available to the public?

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hello Bill,

Thanks for your interest in developing Metro style apps! The second link is explaining how to share a package locally for testing purposes. You could develop your own app and use it locally on your own computers, without submitting it to the Store. However, you would still need a developer account to do this. Part of installing the app is the verification of the developer license. If you look at the second link that you provided, go to the section on installing the app and look at what step 2 of the powershell install script does:

"Verifies whether you have a developer license. If the script doesn't find one, you're prompted to get one.

To get a developer license, you must have a Microsoft account."

The following is the best place to get started with Windows 8 Metro style app development. I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have other questions about development.

Thanks,

Jesse

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:57 PM