How to view perspectives on pivot table with excel 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I defined a perspective but I don´t see the way to browse it with the pivot table.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Friday, September 6, 2013 8:36 AM

Answers

• Hello,

We should specify the perspective when we create a SSAS data connection in Excel 2013. Please refer to the following screenshot:

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:02 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can select the create perspective from the combobox on top of "PowerPivot Field List" (should show "(Default perspective)" at the moment).

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, September 6, 2013 10:50 AM
  • in excel 2013 for a pivot table there is now powerpivot field list..

I clicked on the small arrow but its only for size.

Friday, September 6, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Hello,

We should specify the perspective when we create a SSAS data connection in Excel 2013. Please refer to the following screenshot:

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:02 AM
  • in excel 2013 for a pivot table there is now powerpivot field list..

I clicked on the small arrow but its only for size.

the_txeriff,

If your question isn't answered, can you clearly ask a refined question, based on these attempts to answer you?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Hi Elvis,

Well, you can´t connect to ssas and select the perspective since the development it´s done in powerpivot. So I wonder how I show those perspectives in excel 2013. I guess they are available for sharepoint only

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:09 AM
  • I have the same problem in Excel 2013.  My data sources are tables in the spreadsheet.  I've added them to my powerpivot model .  I've created a perspective but once the pivottable is created I can't find where I select the perspective.  All the instructions for doing this seem to reference an earlier version of Excel.

Friday, February 7, 2014 10:39 PM
  • Hi the_txeriff,

It seems that you are referring to accessing the perspectives from the same Excel workbook where you have defined them. As far as I'm aware, and based on my own experience the perspectives defined within a Power Pivot v2 workbook can only be accessed after uploading it to SharePoint 2010/2013. However, the perspectives are only exposed when the Power Pivot workbook is used as a data source for another workbook, for example. 

The following Microsoft Office Support article infers this: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/perspectives-in-power-pivot-HA102837427.aspx

Hope this helps,

Michael

• Edited by Michael Amadi Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:58 AM minor edits
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:46 AM
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:37 AM
  • Let's say I have an Excel (2013) file E,

it has associated PowerPivot data PPD stored inside the same Excel file E,

The PowerPivot data PPD has PowerPivot perspective PPP,

And I add a Pivot Table PT...

So Michael , are you saying I cannot reference the PowerPivot perspective PPP from within the Excel's Pivot Table, PT, since the perspective is inside the same Excel file (i.e. not inside Sharepoint) ? That's reasonable.

Other posters are suggesting that Excel 2013 UI simply removed this dropdown. I think this is also reasonable.

What's the reason? I don't have Sharepoint so I can't test the first theory.

Friday, August 15, 2014 8:11 PM
  • This refers to SSAS Perspectives.  (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh230816.aspx) I think OP wanted to know about PowerPivot Perspectives; (http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/perspectives-in-power-pivot-HA102837427.aspx) specifically when the PowerPivot perspectives come from the same Excel Workbook as the Pivot Table itself.
    Friday, August 15, 2014 8:15 PM
  • Yes. I have the same problem too. Have you solved this? People should notewhile asnwering that this perspective is not based on SSAS, its based on excel datamodel you create purely in excel.  But as mentioned above by Tony I think, we can create the perspective in excel model but couldn't see it when insert pivot table. It shows all the tables not the perspective, there is not even an option to pull down.   
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:03 PM
  • Got it. So we need sharepoint in order for the perspective to work in excel model. 

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:14 PM
  • I found out from the link the theredpea posted below  that you should have sharepoint in order for the perspetive in the excel model to work  So no way you can test it out unless you are in a corporate environment with sharepoint server.  Here is the one of the bullet I copied of  from that link theredpea posted.

"Make sure you have SharePoint 2013 with Excel Services. You’ll need SharePoint to host the workbook. Perspectives can only be used as a data source when the workbook is on a server"

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:18 PM