How to create UnManaged(C++/CX) Windows Runtime components?

Question

• Hi all, 

How do we create Windows Run-time Components[C++/CX] for Windows/Phone 8.1 C# projects. I want to use the new runtime xaml technology, and I have some C++ libraries which need to wrap for C#.

Previously I have created a Windows Runtime Componet[C++/CX] in WP8 version. Which I can use in Windows Phone 8.1[Silverlight]. But I want to use the the same runtime component[OR by upgrading existing component] in new Windows/Phone 8.1[Runtime].

Please suggest me. Is there any upcoming release for Windows/Phone 8.1 Runtime components[C++/CX] development APIs?

Thanks. 

Pallam Madhukar Windows Phone Developer

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Pallam,

>This only option we have for now. Right?

Yes. There are two types of project provided by visual studio. Silverlight and runtime project. Your components are based on Silverlight APIs. So you can use them in windows phone Silverlight project. Windows phone project and universal app project are based on runtime APIs. You can see the namespaces in the two types of project from the following link. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465136.aspx.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:27 AM

All replies

• Please I am waiting for any info/suggestion.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:52 AM
  • Hi Pallam,

Per my understanding, you cannot use windows 8 component in windows phone runtime project. They have different namespaces. You need to build a windows runtime component project and port your code to it.

>Is there any upcoming release for Windows/Phone 8.1 Runtime components[C++/CX] development APIs?

I don’t know the future of our product. But you can focus on our C++ term blog. It may be helpful sometimes. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:41 AM
  • Thanks Herro wong, What I understood, if we want to use the windows phone run-time component then we need to create project in windows phone 8.1(silverlight: create WP8 app and upgrade to WP8.1). This only option we have for now. Right?

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:10 AM
  • Hi Pallam,

>This only option we have for now. Right?

Yes. There are two types of project provided by visual studio. Silverlight and runtime project. Your components are based on Silverlight APIs. So you can use them in windows phone Silverlight project. Windows phone project and universal app project are based on runtime APIs. You can see the namespaces in the two types of project from the following link. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465136.aspx.

Regards,

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:27 AM