Redistribution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    I want to redistribute my application (just the .exe, no install) but every time someone opens it they get an error message that it is not a Win32 application. They have downloaded and installled the .net framework. Yet it won't open for them. Could you provide a link to something that will allow them to run it?

Thanks for your help
    Ronan
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thats an odd one. Could you post the error message please?

Saturday, September 27, 2008 11:33 PM
  • I don't get the error message as it works fine on my computer. Here are the two comments that were left:
    "
    it wont work says its not a win32 application or sumthing"
    "I try to download the feedback application but it say "valid Win32 application""

One is on one video and the other is on the other application. Here is the download for one of my applications:
    http://www.driveway.com/driveway/jsp/dway_DF.jsp?frm=user&fn=Feedback+Button.exe

Do they need Visual Basic to run it?

Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:01 PM
  • Have you noticed that the size of the downloaded EXE is 0 bytes? I think there may have been a problem during the upload. Try re-uploading the file.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:16 PM
  • There isn't any problems with uploading. When my friend downloaded it the file was 289kb. But it did not run when opened. I was able to download it and run it perfectly a few seconds ago.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:09 PM
  • Give the detailed steps about how you deploy the application. I need to know you use Xcopy or ClickOnce to deploy the application. Read ClickOnce overview for your reference.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

I have a feeling that the .NET framework hasn't installed correctly on the machine. The difference between a .NET exe and a Win32 exe is a piece of information in the files PEF Header (I think thats what it is called). It sounds like the machine is ignoring that piece of information and assuming the exe is a Win32 exe. 

It's a bit of a cop-out solution, never like to give this as a solution, but perhaps a reinstall of the framework is in order.

Monday, September 29, 2008 2:31 PM
  • I am not using ClickOnce or anything like that to deploy my application. I am just using the .exe file.

They aren't having any problems with running other .NET software (other than mine of course). They tried updating and reinstalling the framework but they still get the error message.

A few people are getting the same error. Surely everyone's installation could not be faulty?

Thanks
    Ronan
    Monday, September 29, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Hi Ronan,

It's odd that the operating system thinks the exe is a Win32 application and not a .NET application.

Thats me all out of ideas and the idea to reinstall the framework wasn't even a good one.

No idea.

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Thanks anyway Derek,
    I was wondering though...how do companies like Adobe make their programs without requiring the .net framework? Do they pay Microsoft so they can make proper Win32 applications?

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Hi Ronan,

You can develop software that doesn't require the .NET framework using other programming languages. Python and C++ for example are two common languages, Java as well but it needs the Java Framework (think runtime engine rather than framework). VB.NET and C# are the two common languages for .NET.  

So companies that develop software which don't need the framework use these other languages. C++ is the most common. They don't need to pay Microsoft though, they might buy Visual Studio to develop the software in, but there are other development tools which means they might not need to pay anything to Microsoft. Generally these languages, and how usable they are on machine, depends on the compiler used. For example an application compiled with on compiler might produce different results from the same application compiled with another compiler.

It's just really odd that your software works on one machine but gets errors on other machines**. If both machines have .NET running there shouldn't be any problems. What operating systems are the machine using? Your program should work as long as the machine has the .NET runtime on it (the framework). If the machines it doesn't work on are Vista machines then there might be something in the code regarding user permissions but I doubt it would say invalid Win32 application if that was the case.

Ronan, you need to get more information about the machines and the error messages. It looks like users are reporting the errors to you and when that happens you can never be to sure what they say is happening is actually what is happening. I've had that before, a user says an application doesn't work because of A, but it was really B that caused the problem.

The application isn't very large perhaps, if it's possible, you could make the project available maybe there is something in the code that a code review might pick up on.

**edit: actually its not that odd really but it is when using .NET as the runtime should allow the code to run anywhere.

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:44 PM
  • I will ask my friend tommorrow what exactly the error messages said. I know that he runs XP. But I do not know what anyone else's operating system is. I did not add code to the application. It is a Feedback button seen in Windows 7 screenshots. I developed a clone of it to help people make their PC's look like the new version of Windows. It does nothing. It only looks good. The only code I added was me.close for the OK and Cancel buttons. I added some code to a combobox aswell. In the text changed area of combobox1 I added combobox2.enabled = true.

Here is the project file if you want it:
    https://cid-edcf5d33b631bd24.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Documents/Feedback%20Button.zip
    Monday, September 29, 2008 6:01 PM
  • We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 8:50 AM
  • Sorry for the long wait, I was ill for the past few days.

I have the error message right here:
    http://r0qwyg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pB4aCrXLX5chC9kD5AXWo4hxbL2xgsw6u8iVAvrIBm3wAiz7Jo_nDx3nAbGo9VuL3V902qnxLnLk/errormessage.png

Does it work if I use this download link:
    http://r0qwyg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pvVxo-XXBr3h0ZywsODs7R-S4hVidauZ5oqn3_TdXKsfrYbrb46ZeJU2bvftFD0yyVZ6YXxfZcpw/FBIWEB.exe

Thanks
    Ronan
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 9:27 PM
  • Have you tryed virus scanning it?

and what ide and/or framework are u using/compiling in?

Saturday, October 11, 2008 10:33 PM
  • Hi Ronan, based on your post, my understanding is that the user can run the EXE in their computer and can't install the ClickOnce package. Tell me how you use the ClickOnce to deploy the application.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 6:19 AM