SPD 2007 Workflow question for Wait for Field update RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement that send email on Approved or rejected status with some custom actions. Every thing is working. However one requirement is that email should be triggered only on status change. I rejected an item and got email. Next time i opened the same sharepoint list item and updated another field quantity. I got that email again. I tried to use Wait for Field update action but it does not seem to have any impact. Can any body please clarify if it is possible and what is the Wait for Field update action?
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:48 PM wf q (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:22 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately in SP workflow that can't be done on the status field.  The reason for that is the workflow doesn't really know what has been changed since it only sees the updated item, not the item previous to the change.

A workaround?  You can create a hidden field on your list/library that you will have the workflow set the value of so that you know the email has already been sent.  Let's say you make a field called NoticeSent with a default value of "No".  You can then have your workflow set that field to "Yes" when it sends the approved or rejected email notification. 

THEN in your workflow you will need to add an additional condition to the approved & rejected actions that asks "if NoticeSent equal No".

If this item can be modified & resubmitted after a rejection you will need an action on Pending to set this NoticeSent field back to "No".

• Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:04 PM

All replies

• any update guys.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Unfortunately in SP workflow that can't be done on the status field.  The reason for that is the workflow doesn't really know what has been changed since it only sees the updated item, not the item previous to the change.

A workaround?  You can create a hidden field on your list/library that you will have the workflow set the value of so that you know the email has already been sent.  Let's say you make a field called NoticeSent with a default value of "No".  You can then have your workflow set that field to "Yes" when it sends the approved or rejected email notification. 

THEN in your workflow you will need to add an additional condition to the approved & rejected actions that asks "if NoticeSent equal No".

If this item can be modified & resubmitted after a rejection you will need an action on Pending to set this NoticeSent field back to "No".

• Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:04 PM