how Windows azure drive responds to concurrent request from different roles RRS feed

• Question

• i have a web role which is running in 4 instance. Say instance1, instance, instance3 and instance4. On global.asax of the web role, i am mounting the drive. What happens when 4 concurrent request comes to web role. As azure will load balance the request, let assume all the four instance gets each request. Since azure drive can be mounted by only one instance at a time, how the drive is mounted/unmounted and handled. 

Any suggestion would be appreciated 

• Edited by naan cloud Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:42 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, only a single instance can mount a writeable drive. If you have 4 instances, please design your service so that it can handle the scenario where it cannot write to a drive. In most cases, drive is used to migrate existing applications to cloud quickly, without actually trying to redesign them to be more cloud friendly. You can think many existing applications actually do not work fine in load balanced environments. If you want to use more instances, it is recommended to re-architect your application to design for scalability.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    • Marked as answer by naan cloud Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:29 PM