Windows CE 5.0: Using .NET CF 3.5 to connect to Access Point using WIFI? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just read a very nice article about provisioning mobile devices (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc500581.aspx).

But I have another problem. Is it right, that these methods only works on a Windows Mobile platform and not on a Windows CE 5.0 platform?

My main problem is, we are building an mobile application using .NET CF 3.5 for our customers. And to simplify the deployment process we want to somehow setup a WIFI connection to an given access point automatically (setting SSID, encryption and authentication). And we also want to able to control when the device connects to an AP for example to a database server sync in order to save battery life time.  And it would be optimal to do all that with our mobile application.

But the OS of the mobile device is Win CE 5.0. I have tried these provisioning using the XML files but obviously Win CE doesn’t support it because it always fails.

I have also tried OpenNETCF WirelessZeroConfigNetworkInterface with no luck, because the WLAN card used on the device does not support Wireless Zero Config.

Here is the Code I used:

foreach (INetworkInterface ni in NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces())
    {
        if (ni is WirelessNetworkInterface)
        {
            if (ni is WirelessZeroConfigNetworkInterface)
            {
                // it never comes here, because ni is only from type WirelessNetworkInterface
             }
        }
    }

So can some tell me how I can programmatically setup the WIFI connection with given SSID, WPA2 key and connect/disconnect to the access point? Can I accomplish something with the Windows CE 5.0 SDK?

I hope someone could help me with this matter. I would greatly appreciate it.

With best regards,

Yen-Chia Lin

PS: The mobile device is this one: http://www.mobile.datalogic.com/product.aspx?idprod=138#Features

Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:40 PM

Answers

• Your best bet is to contact the vendor directly. If they are not deploying Microsoft ZeroConfig (WZC) than it is almost certain that they have received this question before.

You could always manipulate the miniport directly with the various 802.11 oids (OID_802_11_SSID etc). However, this is the supplicant's (WZC, Odyssey Access Client, wpa_supplciant, Device Scape, etc) job and the most likely result would be to interfere with your vendor's solution.

I know that my current company (Intermec) supports both WZC and our own CCXv4 compliant supplicant for which we have our own XML based provisioning infrastructure. We also export an interface to configure our supplicant in our development kits.

Note: you are unlikely to get much support for OEM specific components on the Microsoft forums.

-Justin
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:08 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 2:40 AM
  • Usually, with software, I would start with the specific (the application vendor) and work to the generic. Though if you have a support agreement (with the device vendor) you can often leverage their support staff (who may or may not have there own contacts with the application vendor).
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:37 PM

All replies

• Your best bet is to contact the vendor directly. If they are not deploying Microsoft ZeroConfig (WZC) than it is almost certain that they have received this question before.

You could always manipulate the miniport directly with the various 802.11 oids (OID_802_11_SSID etc). However, this is the supplicant's (WZC, Odyssey Access Client, wpa_supplciant, Device Scape, etc) job and the most likely result would be to interfere with your vendor's solution.

I know that my current company (Intermec) supports both WZC and our own CCXv4 compliant supplicant for which we have our own XML based provisioning infrastructure. We also export an interface to configure our supplicant in our development kits.

Note: you are unlikely to get much support for OEM specific components on the Microsoft forums.

-Justin
    Friday, January 15, 2010 2:40 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.

Which vendor do you mean should I contact? Datalogic (device vendor) or Summit Data Communications (WLAN app on the device vendor)?

Friday, January 15, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Usually, with software, I would start with the specific (the application vendor) and work to the generic. Though if you have a support agreement (with the device vendor) you can often leverage their support staff (who may or may not have there own contacts with the application vendor).
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:37 PM