VS2008 Server Error: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:8012 RRS feed

• Question

• I moved one of my Oracle queries to Web Service. It ran OK most of time. Once a while, I received the above error. I would appreciate if someone can help out here.

cy 

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:47 PM

All replies

• That message means that your service is not running (it is not listening on that port, so the machine refused the connection).
    John Saunders
    WCF is Web Services. They are not two separate things.
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    Friday, August 19, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for your advice. I am not sure about that. I did netstat -oan. I saw PID with the correct port number. It happens just once a while. It will be fine if I step it through in IDE. I tried all possible solutions posted on the internet. Do you have any suggestion what I should do? Thanks.

cy

cy
    Friday, August 19, 2011 7:17 PM
  • That message really means only one thing at the root. It means that a connection attempt arrived for that port, and that there was nothing listening to that port. I suppose it could mean that some firewall or other software decided to reject the connection for some other reason, but it means that some piece of code made a decision to reject the connection.

John Saunders
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Friday, August 19, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Dear John,

i am not quite sure about what you were talking about here "some piece of code made a decision to reject the connection". Are you saying it is a permissions problem or timeout's problem? Could you explain it more in details? Thanks.

cy
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:51 PM
  • I doubt it has to do with permissions. Some part of the network stack, whether a driver, or firewall, or whatever, saw the request for a connection, and made a decision to reject it.

Sorry I can't be more specific. The most usual cause for this is the service simply not running on that port. Is there a chance that the service crashed and then recovered?

John Saunders
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 3:49 AM
  • Hi John,

This problem really drove me crazy. Maybe, I should ask you some other questions instead. I am not sure those questions are related to this problem.

1. The port of my web site was automatically assigned to port 8012. The port for Default Web Site in IIS6 (Windows Server 2003) was assigned to port 80 by network    guy. Are they OK? 

2. I saw there were a bunch of TIME_WAITs as the following when I ran netstat -aon if the web page was not launched successfully.

TCP    10.1.1.78:80           10.1.4.14:4751         TIME_WAIT       0
          TCP    10.1.1.78:80           10.1.4.14:4752         TIME_WAIT       0
          TCP    10.1.1.78:80           10.1.4.14:4753         TIME_WAIT       0

I thought that it may cause by using web service but I still see those TIME_WAITs even though I don't use web service. Any idea why I had those TIME_WAITs?

3. Is there any way or existing tool I can find out bad drivers or whatever? How about verifier.exe?

Thanks. 

cy
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Sorry, I don't know that much about IIS administration. You may want to look on the IIS site at http://iis.net. They also have IIS-specific forums there.

John Saunders
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:42 PM